PDA

View Full Version : 150,000 miles on rear brakes?

oneton
07-31-2007, 18:43
Well, after 5 years and 152,000 miles later I thought it would be time to change the rear brakes on the ole girl. I changed out the fronts at 100,000 and had a lot of pad left but the constant squealing from the glazed pad drove me nuts. The rear pads had faired better but what I found wasn't pretty even though the pads hadn't worn down to the squeekers yet. The left side outter pad has seperated, about 50% of it. The other side had some pretty good heat fractures but was still intact. So now with the new rear brakes she stops like new again.

One thing I did noticed is that they were harder to install then the fronts. I don't know how you guys change them out but I didn't pull the pad mount off. On the fronts I was able to get the pads in without pulling them but the rears had much tighter tolerances between the mount and the rotor. But as it turned out the only real clearance problem was the anti-rattle clip. So I pulled the clip, slipped in the pad and then slid the clip back up into place and buttoned everything up. (Did that make any sence?)

So are you supposed to pull the pad mounts? I really need to get off my a$$ and order my service manuals, don't I?

BigD