PDA

View Full Version : How long will diel last?

aquaman0001
08-02-2007, 06:52
Hello all,
After I had the new IP put on I could smell diesel fuel. The mechanic stated it was from the fuel spelling down into the cavity below the pump and that it will eventually evaporate. How long does it take for the diesel to bake off? I do not see any spots under the truck.(fuel puddle)
A

HammerWerf
08-02-2007, 07:34
A,

I've found when changingr the fuel filter, the diesel that falls down into the valley takes a few days to bake off. Either that or my nose becomes immune to the sweet smell.

HammerWerf

chickenhunterbob
08-02-2007, 07:35
It takes forever to bake off your gloves, or pants.

Probably somewhat faster on the engine, but if it were me I'd head to the car wash and hose it off, then you can be sure you don't have a leak.

daustin
08-02-2007, 08:52
I wouldn't hose it off a hot engine, wait until it cools down you don't want it cracking on you.
Don

aquaman0001
08-02-2007, 09:51
I though about taking it to the car wash, but how about all the electrical components? Could I just stick a water hose under the upper manifold and drizzle water in there and have the diesel rinse out? Will this hurt the IP electrical connections?
A

chickenhunterbob
08-02-2007, 09:57
Sure, take your hose and drizzle away.

I wash my engine with a power washer every month or so, never had a problem, just use a bit of common sense to avoid spraying directly into an electrical connection.

Or if I go to the car wash I let it cool off a bit, wash the truck first, engine last so it cools down a bit.

But water is not particularly harmful, otherwise we couldn't drive in the rain, or through puddles that spash the engine.

Geez, you are Aquaman for gosh sakes, you surely can't be afraid of water

aquaman0001
08-02-2007, 10:36
CHB,
Can I spray right under the upper manifold to get the fuel that is under the IP?
A

DmaxMaverick
08-02-2007, 13:16
CHB,
Can I spray right under the upper manifold to get the fuel that is under the IP?
A
Yes. Just stick your garden hose at the front, and let it flush out the back. Nothing in there to get hurt by water. Good advice to avoid high pressure water at the connectors, but some splashing around won't hurt them (they are called weather-pack connectors, afterall). A generous flushing of the valley should make the smell go away after one temp cycle. If it returns or you find fresh fuel after, you have a fuel leak.

JohnC
08-02-2007, 15:00
(they are called weater-pack connectors, afterall).

Did ya mean "wetter" or "weather"? ;)

DmaxMaverick
08-02-2007, 15:49
Thanks, John. Guess I don't need spell checker, as long as you're around. Hey! Go rotate the air in your tires, or something!