PDA

View Full Version : odd smoke?

19blaz85
08-02-2007, 10:20
First off I have to say I've found a lot of great info on these forums. I am in the process of rebuilding a 6.2 NA (which keeps getting extended for various reasons) and in the more immediate future I am looking to buy a pick-up. This is the reason I am posting. I looked at a 95 Chev (6.5 TD) the other day and noticed something I have never run across on my 6.2 or any gas engine I've been around. The oil dipstick tube had smoke coming out of it. Not a bunch, but more than a noticable amount. Anyone out there know about this and if it's normal on an engine with around 150k on it? Is this just blow-by and is more prevelant because of the turbo? Then engine starts and runs well and has been maintained well (it seems). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

SR

Propayne
08-03-2007, 15:45
out of the dipstick tube? is dipstick in our out when the smoke comes out? i would assume its some serious blow by because ive seen some powerstrokes and cummins with blow by that it just blows out of oil fill cap. i could be wrong though...

SimonUK
08-05-2007, 13:21
Not too familiar with the 6.5 so dont know if it has the cdr valve like the 6.2.If it has it could be faulty or there's no hose connected from the crankcase to the turbo inlet. Is there a lot of oil around the torque converter cover where oil has passed the crankshaft rear oil seal.

May just be talking rubbish as I'm not familiar with the 6.5.

19blaz85
08-13-2007, 07:46
no major oil leaks besides a little bit out of the front of the valve covers. nothing out of the rear seal. the smoke was coming out with the dipstick in (when i first noticed it). i pulled the dipstick out and there was more smoke then. it was very odd to me. i assume there has to be some sort of crankcase ventilation (cdr or otherwise with the turbo) on it. i'm not familiar with the set-up on the 6.5 either. i decided to pass on buying the truck after finding out a few more things about it. thanks for the replies.

john8662
08-13-2007, 09:58
Smoke out of the dipstick tube with the engine running and dipstick fully inserted is BAD news. This basically means that the engine has a compression issue, with poor sealing rings, perhaps a cracked piston, etc.

Translation: Bad Blow-By.

You did good walking away.

J