PDA

View Full Version : vin 7

enforcer233
08-03-2007, 21:21
Several times throughout this forum I see references to a vin code 7. What is the importance of this and which character of the vin should the 7 appear?

DmaxMaverick
08-03-2007, 22:56
Don't know where 7 was mentioned, but the 8th digit indicates the engine. In the case of the 6.5L, F is a L65 (HD), and S is a L56 (LD).

enforcer233
08-03-2007, 23:18
I stand corrected, and I did mean to ask about the F, not 7.

Thanks

daustin
08-06-2007, 10:53
The F motors only have the CDR for emissions, the S motors have EGR as well as the CDR. S Motors also have a more restrictive intake both upper and lower. Lower on F motors has no exhaust crossover ports, S do.
Don

DmaxMaverick
08-06-2007, 11:06
The F motors only have the CDR for emissions, the S motors have EGR as well as the CDR. S Motors also have a more restrictive intake both upper and lower. Lower on F motors has no exhaust crossover ports, S do.
Don

The CDR (Crankase Depression Regulator) is not an EPA item (specifically). It is necessary for maintaining proper crankase vacuum and venting, turbo or no. Without it, the likelyhood of sucking all the engine oil into the intake is greatly increased. The alternative to the CDR is atmospheric venting, which can be messy, among other things.