PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Have This Problem With a UNI Foam Filter?

TurboDiverArt
08-05-2007, 18:52
Hey all,

I had posted once before about having trouble with losing boost just when I needed it most. The first two times it happened was when I was towing, it would drop out of gear, RPM’s would go up, boost would climb to around 10-12 then it would crash to zero, no power, black smoke and the EGT’s would go up. If I let off allowing it to up-shift I could get boost back and everything was fine.

Anyway, I checked the air way and it was good. I knew it was something with the pre-turbo induction setup cause the little “change filter now” pop-it thingy was orange when I would look under the hood.

Anyway, coming back from Ohio today with nothing in tow it happened again. This was the first time it had happened without a load in tow. It happened every time it dropped out of gear at high speed on a hill. It did not happen on the way out earlier in the week.

When I got back I grabbed a new stock air filter and set out to do some testing. I had no problem recreating it on the street from a standing start. I popped the hood intending to swap air filters for a back-to-back test thinking the filter was maybe clogged even though I had cleaned it 3000 miles ago (it looked clean before the trip). When I pulled off the UNI filter (still looking clean) the yellow foam on the inside of the filter was pulling away from the rest of the filter casing. It’s pretty clear to me that this was clogging the air path to the turbo, bunching up and making the air-way out of the filter much smaller. I’m just glad it didn’t rip off and get sucked into my turbo and stall the wheel or worse do catastrophic damage.

I’ve got a stock FRAM filter on now and I have no problems. I guess I’ll be buying a K&N next time. I’m surprised I only got 80,000 miles out of the UNI filter. I cleaned and re-oiled it every 10,000 miles and I’m not in dusty conditions. I like the foam filters cause I think they filter better but I just can’t risk it coming apart like it was and destroying my turbo!

Art.

More Power
08-05-2007, 23:04
Do you have the metal mesh side of the Uni facing the turbo? The only way any loose foam could reach the turbo is if it got sucked through the metal mesh.

Here's the mesh side of a Uni used in a Duramax.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/unifoam4.jpg

Jim

Robyn
08-06-2007, 08:30
My dually came to me with a K&N filter.
The thing looked to have been serviced not all that long before I got the truck.
I was a bit nervous as the turbo inlet was showing signs of fine dirt accumulation on the oil vapor.
I decided to go to a good stock paper filter as we live on a dusty gravel road and I did not like what I saw with the K&N

Possibly the K&N is ok for less dirty areas but there was simply too much dirt passing to make me comfortable.

I am using the stock type filter without the foam prefilter. seems to work fine and I can hear the turbo sing soooooo sweeet

I tend to get real anal about clean fuel and clean air.
Personally I would compromise flow a teeeny bit in favor of keeping it clean.

Good luck

Robyn

TurboDiverArt
08-07-2007, 03:53
Do you have the metal mesh side of the Uni facing the turbo? The only way any loose foam could reach the turbo is if it got sucked through the metal mesh.

Here's the mesh side of a Uni used in a Duramax.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/unifoam4.jpg

Jim

No, it didn't come this way from UNI. The metal mesh is not visible from the inside or outside of the filter. It's a cone filter. Looking inside there is what appears to be a thin layer of foam, maybe 1/8 - 1/4" thick on the inside of the filter, probably originally bonded to the inner mesh. This foam on the inside is sort of now hanging like an old worn-out car headliner.

Art.

TurboDiverArt
08-07-2007, 03:54
My dually came to me with a K&N filter.
The thing looked to have been serviced not all that long before I got the truck.
I was a bit nervous as the turbo inlet was showing signs of fine dirt accumulation on the oil vapor.
I decided to go to a good stock paper filter as we live on a dusty gravel road and I did not like what I saw with the K&N

Possibly the K&N is ok for less dirty areas but there was simply too much dirt passing to make me comfortable.

I am using the stock type filter without the foam prefilter. seems to work fine and I can hear the turbo sing soooooo sweeet

I tend to get real anal about clean fuel and clean air.
Personally I would compromise flow a teeeny bit in favor of keeping it clean.

Good luck

Robyn
I definitely hear the turbo more with the foam filter. With the stock FRAM in there I can barely hear it, bums me out!

Art.

DA BIG ONE
08-07-2007, 05:49
IMHO, All aftermarket filters should be used w/pre-filter. If perhaps no pre-filter is available for your application use fine panty hose largest you can get. As my filter is a large cylinder setup I can get 4 pre-filters from one panty hose.

Sand, and any other items that get into filter box are stopped by pany-hose pre-filter. In harsh enviroments sand will cake on prefilter if oily, otherwise it will lay at bottom of airbox.

I'm working on retro-fitting a Douglas canister setup in near future.

TurboDiverArt
09-07-2007, 18:29
Wanted to close out this thread.

I was contacted by John Kennedy at Kennedy Diesel who I bought the Uni Filter from. He got me in touch with a service rep from Uni. I explained what I saw, how much mileage I had on it and a few other details. He informed me that Uni has a lifetime guarantee on their products and wanted to see the filter as they had not had any similar problems reported. They provided me with their UPS shipping number and I sent it back. About a week after I sent it out I had a brand new Uni filter sitting on my doorstep. The rep had emailed me previously to follow up and let me know they were shipping out a replacement filter and to contact them again if I had any problems.

I would characterize this as excellent service from both Uni and Kennedy Diesel. Thanks to both of them!!

Art.