PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L Died on Hwy, won't turn over? tranny?

ff43sc
04-05-2005, 12:50
driving to work recently and my truck started having repetitive noise like something rubbing against sheet metal, then lost power and pulled over. Engine shut off then, had oil pressure before this happened, No codes. Could the torque convertor/tranny totally bind up keeping motor from turning over? The sound it made was similar to what my old truck TC did before it failed. OR does it sound like the engine seized, the noise picked up when i accelerated then went totally away when i let off fuel several seconds before it shut down..no smoke from exhaust, oil looks ok. Any ideas? Just put new heads on a few monthes ago.

[ 04-05-2005, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: ff43sc ]

markrinker
04-05-2005, 16:32
Hmmmm...hard to say from your post. I'd pull the inspection cover and see what shape your flywheel is in. When my crank broke, it was apparent something was amiss by visually inspecting the flywheel and attempting to rotate it by hand.

ff43sc
04-05-2005, 17:57
well,the flywheel looks to be even all around...should i be able to turn the motor by hand? wasn't sure if i could..also just put new heads on so would compression or top end be tighter and harder to turn?? not too easy to get ahold of to turn any suggestions on an easy way?? thanks

landrea
04-05-2005, 18:06
maybe you should lop off the serp. belt,I've seen a few alternators lock up and stop the engine.

Marty Lau
04-06-2005, 08:14
If you pull the belt check all the stuff it runs. I had the AC comprssor sieze while driving busted the belt and also vacum pumps will sieze up also, thats why I got rid of mine.

ff43sc
04-06-2005, 12:21
thanks for the tips, should i be able to turn the torque convertor/flywheel by hand(with a bar/lever, etc...)? I will check the alt, vacuum pump, ac, thanks