PDA

View Full Version : Gauge readings..... OK?

Shikaroka
08-06-2007, 10:53
These questions have probably been brought up before, but I can't find for sure.

I recently got my gauges all hooked up and took the Burb for a nice 1000 mile trip. These are some readings that I noted and would like to know if they appear normal.

The pyrometer (EGT) probe is mounted in the cross-over pipe just below the driver's side manifold.

"Normal" driving, cruising around 70mph, level ground, pretty much "unloaded" (just the family and luggage). I get:
Boost = 4-6 psi
EGT = 600-700 degrees F
Tranny oil = 160 degrees F

Now, if I'm pulling a hill, I get:
Boost = 7-8 psi (can peak around 9-10psi if I try)
EGT = 700-800 (can get it to climb to 900-1000 if I flog it)
Tranny oil = 160-170 (doesn't change much)

Does this sound normal?
I am a bit surprised that I can get the EGTs so high, without towing. I can even get them up to the 1100 mark pulling up my hill going 35mpg. Should I worry about that?

byte
08-06-2007, 11:49
Hello... those numbers seen to be the same as the numbers I have been getting, but I have only had the gauges installed for 300 miles. My thermocouple is mounted after the turbo in the exhaust, so your readings might be higher because yours is mounted pre-turbo. I was surprized as well when my pyro reached 900 - 1000 on a long steep climb (6-7%) with no load (A/C on and to the throttle at 100%)... i would have kept on the juice, but my speed was getting close to warp 1... :D I don't have a trans. temp. guage except in my laptop!

sturgeon-phish
08-06-2007, 16:37
Been running my gauges since March and they are in line with what I am seeing. EGT probe in same place as yours.
Jim

Robyn
08-07-2007, 08:07
To get the EGT lower you will need a charge cooler or an alky water mist injector that comes on at around 8-10 PSI
Sounds good though.
You may want to consider a Heath chip/pcm (depends on year of truck)
this little bonus can give cooler EGT

With the chip you wont need the fooler and the timing, fuel and tranny programing are all changed for better performance.
Hope this helps

Robyn

Shikaroka
08-07-2007, 09:26
Well, I'm glad to know that I'm "normal".

Thanks guys (& gal)!

ercaduceus
08-07-2007, 23:34
Well, I'm glad to know that I'm "normal".

Is anyone here REALLY normal!!! HA HA

Shikaroka
08-08-2007, 06:04
Well yeh, I meant within normal range.

I've always said, "The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well."

Shikaroka
08-09-2007, 09:51
What is considered too high for tranny oil?

I was setting in a drive-thru last night and watched my tranny oil temp climb to about 180 degrees. When I started driving it continured to climb to around 190. That is the highest I've seen it so far. Then, while driving, it eventually started to fall slowly. Why would it climb so much while setting still? Was it the water temp in the radiator warming up the oil? The coolant was getting up to around 200 while setting there as well. It doesn't ususally get that high.

DmaxMaverick
08-09-2007, 11:04
ATF performance and life is reduced by increased fluid temp. 160° is ideal operating tempurature, but 180-190° is well within the normal operating range. 200° is hot, but not too hot. 240-260° is considered the upper temp limit (red line, drastically decreasing fluid life) under high load conditions. Using synthetic ATF will increase the operating and high limits considerably (50-100°), but usually yields a lower temp due to its lubrication and heat disipation qualities.

The temp will increase while idling for periods in hot weather because some of the cooling ability is not present. W/o fresh air flowing around the pan and less cool air available to the radiator/cooler, the heat is retained and the temp rises. This condition allows more heat to be transfered from the coolant to the ATF in the radiator. While driving in slow traffic, or idling for periods, the engine temp may be stable and similar to normal driving, but more coolant is passed through the radiator (open stats) to maintain that temp. Hotter coolant in the radiator allows for less heat transfer available for the ATF (decreased Delta T).

Shikaroka
08-10-2007, 07:31
Cool, thanks.
I guess I'm just parnoid now that I have guages.
Guages aren't much use, without some knowledge. So, I appreciate it.