PDA

View Full Version : Glow plugs P380 - Tech Help

marxlst
08-07-2007, 08:19
HELP!

I've got a 2001 K2500 4wd Duramax with a Service Engine error code
P0380 Glow Plug heater circuit "A" Malfunction.

Is there a way to check the Glow Plugs to see if they are good or bad?

How are they changed?
Does anyone have a diagram?

Hands on knowledge or some documentation would be a great help...
Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
08-07-2007, 11:22
Welcome to the Forums!

The GP's are very simple. They are not unlike a light bulb in function, and not unlike a spark plug to replace. The controllers differ, depending on CA or federal emmissions. Which do you have?

With either, remove the connector and test with a test light or ohm meter. Open circuit means dead plug. To replace, just thread it out with a socket, or an end wrench if you can't get a socket on it. Several TDP Vendors (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm) have them for $10-15 each.

There is some good info in THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=9645). If you need more, try searching the forum for P0380.

marxlst
08-07-2007, 12:15
We appreciate the help :)

Are there any good maintenance/repair books out there for the Duramax?

DmaxMaverick
08-07-2007, 13:02

I recommend www.alldatadiy.com. You can get the full print version at www.helminc.com, but it's quite a bit more $$.

NutNbutGMC
08-07-2007, 16:37

I recommend www.alldatadiy.com. You can get the full print version at www.helminc.com, but it's quite a bit more $$.I just sold a 2002 GMC CC LB7. I now have a set of Helms used maybe once or twice for browsing, still in the original shipping box. I bought them new in 2002. I am fixing to place them in the classifieds here. If you're interested (at a fair price, for both of us) PM me please. I feel certain that they may be useful for even 2001 - 2007, all the while I acquired a new 07 (LBZ), but I am not a wrencher at all. I wish I had that skill set and knowledge that some of these guys have.

Duramaster
08-08-2007, 21:22
Your P0380 is more than likely a bad G/P relay. I have posted on this topic before. If it is in fact the relay, Buy the WHOLE controller assembly. It is CHEAPER than the individual relays. The assembly is about $65 and the relays are about $100 each depending on which dealership you shop at. ;)