PDA

View Full Version : EGR Intake Manifold ?

fastcat800
04-05-2005, 13:13
My truck is a light duty (eight digit S) and has an EGR valve intake manifold. The lower intake manifold has a hairline crack in it and I want to replace it. Can I install a non EGR valve intake manifold and plug the vacumm line. I have found several of the non EGR manifolds at good prices but can't find a reasonably priced EGR manifold. If anyone has an EGR lower intake they would like to sell let me know. I also would be interested in an upper and lower non EGR manifold if it can be used. dlsdave@hotmail.com

john8662
04-05-2005, 13:21
Yes, that would be the preferred method for "off-road" service only. If you can get away with it for inspection purposes then I'd say go for it (if it was my truck it would be swapped out). I don't know if you'll get a code after disabling the EGR, but you can get rid of the codes. There was a good explation on how to convert EGR to non-EGR without getting the codes here on the forum at one time, do a search and see what you turn up. Another alternative is to have a chip made that will keep the computer from looking for the EGR equipment (Kennedy or Heath custom chip).

arrowheadracing
04-05-2005, 16:22
Dave shoot me an email, I might have an intake setup for you. EGR style, I bought a few awhile back and will check to see what is left of them.

diesel@customizedcreations.net
or
service@customizedcreations.net

fastcat800
04-06-2005, 08:19
We have no emissions tests and inspections in MN anymore so that is not a problem. I have never been a fan of EGR's so eliminating it would be a plus if it did not cause other problems.

damork
04-06-2005, 17:56
Dave,

You shouldn't have to worry about the vacuum hose to the EGR giving you codes. I have a 95 and a disabled EGR hasn't given me problems in 170k miles. Seems when the EGR was attached is when I had smoke problems (at least particulates).

David Brady
04-07-2005, 19:53
I replaced mine a long time ago and I think the EGR upper is restrictive, even if you work it over. I think you'll be okay if you maintain your vacuum to the solenoids and plug off the line to the EGR valve. I ran mine that way for about a year before upgrading the chip and installing the turbo master.

fastcat800
04-08-2005, 07:46
Thanks guys, I think I will look for an upper and lower non EGR intake.

Iain
04-10-2005, 18:01
Might be little late for this, on my 1994 I just pulled off the EGR line and plugged it with a bolt to see what would happen. No codes popped up and for some reason it seems to have helped my cold smoking start problem a bit. I might be jumping the gun, but it smoked far less this morning. Will have to see over the next few mornings if it continues to not smoke.

fastcat800
04-11-2005, 09:49
Friday I found a non EGR upper and lower with and FSD cooler and PMD mounted to it for $190 shipped to my door. I wanted to add a FSD cooler when I did the job so this was perfect for me. I came from a wrecked '97 one ton from a bone yard in southern MN. Needless to say I bought it. My next question is my intake manifold has 6 or 8 studs. If the nut only comes off and the stud stays in, the manifold won't come off. Are these studs normal? Do they usually come out easily after the nut is removed? Any tips on changing the manifold?

Iain
04-11-2005, 13:01
I believe the studs you mention have a nut on them. Example, if you take the accessory that is bolted to the stud off (remove nut, washer + accessory bracket) you should find a stud with a fixed nut (nut is part of the stud) tight to the intake manifold. Use a deep socket and slide it over the stud and hook on your rachet and unscrew.

Hope this helps!

Iain

fastcat800
04-13-2005, 10:42
New intake and FSD Cooler with newer PMD installed last night. Runs a lot better now. One intake bolt was finger tight and the crack was bigger than I thought. The FSD cooler was made in Sweeden. It says FSDcooler.com on it. I looked at their website and it is all in Sweedish. It looks similar to the SS Diesel Supply one. Anyone ever heard of this cooler and have opinions.

Iain
04-14-2005, 04:37
That is the same one that I have. I have had mine for 1 year now and it is still working great. No complaints. There is a lot of discussion throughout the forum about the best places to mount it (top of engine, fenderwell, etc). I have mine on top of the engine and it seems o.k.