PDA

View Full Version : LMM Regen Fuel Consumtion

Dakster
08-09-2007, 15:48
Can't believe how much extra fuel the truck dumps during a regen. Those of us that have them know the mileage goes down when driving. Welp, I got a good look at how bad today. Yesterday when I shut down, apparently I was in the middle of a regen (I could tell when I stepped out and the truck smelled hot and it had that amonia/bleach smell as well) I started the truck and I reset the avg. mpg and fuel consumption on the DIC. I stopped at my favorite farm stores to get some milk for the little ones and scrolled thru the DIC.

I have burned .5 GAL in less than 1 mile! I've made it from the farm stores home without the DIC registering .1 Gal burned... The avg. mpg didn't go over 6 MPG until AFTER the regen cycle had completed and I am at 11.8 now having driven 18 miles in city traffic. I am usually around 14, so it did start to make it up.

Just food for thought....

beeler
08-09-2007, 19:11
The other thing that scares those of us that work in agriculture, hunt or do anything else offroad is that hot smell you speak of. What if I'm out in a customers field and start a fire? When we first got cats on the gassers in the '80s they were a problem. With my '98 454 after many checks I never worried about it. The cats were shaped to shed stuff and did not get as hot as earlier ones. Now we have DPFs. I haven't heard or even read first hand reports of Dmaxes being a problem but I have of the Dodge and Fords. It's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Dakster
08-10-2007, 05:41
If I worked in AG I would be scared of them too... If I park on my grass at home I can tell you where the DOC and DPF are located by the BURNED grass. This is if I just park and shut the truck off. I could only imagine if I left the truck idling. A 2WD would be even worse. Although stock, my 4x4 is fairly high off of the ground. (The 3500 4x4 seems just as high as the 2500 4x4 Z71 and I had to "step up" to get in before the running boards were put on)

As you previously stated, many gas cars have left burned grass behind too. Although a car is not meant to haul hay and work in the field off road, like a truck.

I hate to think that it would take a disaster to get this looked at. Unfortunately, I don't have a pyrometer to tell the radiant heat difference between a truck with and without a DPF only that it must be hot if the manufacturers had to design a special exhaust tip to cool things off...