PDA

View Full Version : dual mass flywheel

racer32b
08-31-2005, 15:24
Hello all,
I'm going to be putting new clutch and p plate in my brothers 95 2500 2 wheel drive.
I beleive its a dual mass and want to chage it to a solid flywheel. Can anyone tell me what parts besides clutch and flywheel i will need.
Also what year truck should i buy these parts for.
thank you
Patrick

Hubert
08-31-2005, 17:44
I did mine and replaced concentric slave cylinder & throwout bearing (I think your is external) and pilot bearing (w/ bronze bushing). You'll need a puller for the pilot brg.

Contact dialaclutch.com they have kits availiable at a good price. Others do too.

You'll also need new doughnuts for crossover pipe. Transfer case (if 4x4) and transmission lube. There is a paper gasket between transfer case and transmission adapter.

I also did rear main seal and oil pan gasket. Now wish I would have done input seal on transmission too. Uhhggg. May consider transmission mount.

RT
09-01-2005, 15:43
Being contrairian, I have 221K on the original dual-mass flywheel in my truck. I am also running the roller bearing pilot not the bronze bushing. New clutch disk and pressure plate at 118K. New pivot ball/fork and slave at 165K. No problems with the setup. RT

JohnC
09-02-2005, 06:17
I'm suprised no one mentioned this; maybe it's just assumed, but, if you remove the dual mass flywheel, you need to install a damper on the back of the trans to take its place!

Hubert
09-02-2005, 07:02
Depends on who you ask on the damper. I don't think the early trucks (late 80's early 90's) had dampers. OR later 97+ trucks and they have rigid flywheel. Inside the packaging was a note about he damper.

Southbend recommended staying with Dual mass for the 6.5. My clutch disc broke (factory rigid flywheel)it did not wear out. Other reported this too. I think because pilot bearing broke?? But I am not sure which went first pilot bearing or disc.

Most I read went with bushing. Some say dual mass better ?????

My slave is internal and good to replace while apart.

Turbo Al
09-03-2005, 05:59
I also have had good luck with the dual mass flywheel. There is a damper available for the change over and some use it some don't. I do know that no matter who does the conversion there have been problems with clutch life.
I personally would stay with the dual mass.
BTW the dual mass clutch has no springs -- there are 5 or 6 in the flywheel -- and the clutch for a solid flywheel has something like 16 springs.

IF you do keep the dual-mass rotate the spings in the flywheel -- simply push them around with a screwdriver -- untill you can see the worn spots, this will position the spring so it wears in a different spot.
Best of luck
Al

Alf
09-03-2005, 06:43
Shameless plug: see the classifieds,Offers??

Slim shady
09-03-2005, 07:48
Well I just replaced my dual mass clutch with a single mass clutch. I won't mention brands but they are a real well know replacement company. I had to pull my transfer case off to see if I had a dampner on my MT8 trans. I didn't and purchased one from a trans shop here for fifty dolars. It mounts on the rear output shaft after the fifth gear, most chevy shops that do heavy trucks will be able to install it for not much money ask the trans guys, not the service manager.
The dampner was used on the old NV 3500 trans and most of the old 6.2 solid clutch transmissions to take up a high frequency harmonic issue in the drive train.So an older transmisison may have the dampner you need. A 2 wheel drive dampner is different than a four wheel dampner. The four wheel dampner is larger than the 2 wheel drive dampner. If you have more questions send me an e-mail and I will try to help you.

1995 6.2 plus C2500 4x4 MT8 5SPD, 6.5 Died :D