PDA

View Full Version : SES - DTC 17 & 18, Need Guidance

gmenor
08-10-2007, 12:10
Trying not to draw this out but, yesterday had a very hard start. Driving it the day before ran normal and all temperature were within normal operating range. It took two cranks before it kicked over. The SES immediately came on and it sounded like a cold winter start up with very loud rattling (usual for winter cold start). There was a lot of black smoke to be expected from cranking. The engine surged to 1100 RPM momentarily then settled back down. I let it run for about two minutes and did a visual search of the engine. Everything looked and sounded fine. I turned it off and pulled the codes DTC 34, 68 & 81. Reset it cranked it again - same as before two cranks before it kicked over and the surge to 1100 RPM momentarily, rattling before settling down. SES came on and got these DTC 17, 18, 34, 68. I went to cleaning every ground and terminal, changed the fuel filter and cleaned the air filter. Cranked it again today (same results yesterday - two cranks, RPM surge and loud rattling initially, SES) and got DTC 17 (High Resolution Circuit Fault) & 18 (Pump Cam Reference Error). The current IP is probably pushing 100k - is this an indicator of it going south or am I off. I initially suspect a short in the system.

gmctd
08-10-2007, 12:40
17,18 are Optic Sensor codes, 34 is the Timing Stepper Motor, 68 is PCM thinks the TCC or clutch-pak in the transmission is slipping, or In\Out Speed Sensors are failing, or dirty connector(s)

34 could be caused by 17,18, since PCM has lost reference for Inj Timing - could be the Optic Sensor Filter is failing - need to substitue one to determine that.

Remember - faulty connections give same symptoms as faulty sensors, so disconnect\reconnect all engine harness connectors, incl those behind the fuel filter cannister - then remove the OS Filter, direct connect the OS, see if that helps - if that heals it, get another filter from Bill Heath\equiv - even if it clears up, @100kmi, might consider a replacement IP, particularly if that wild revving continues after the other symptoms go away - replace the oem OS Filter when replacing the IP

gmenor
08-10-2007, 14:04
gmctd,
Thanks for the feed back. I did all the connectors I can find and checked them. I did not do the OS filter yet but plan to that. Still have hard start and DTC 17 & 18 are still there along with the SES. All previous symptons exist - the surge is a 2-3 second climb up to 1100 RPM then settles back down. I also bled the system again for possible air in the in the fuel lines.

gmctd
08-10-2007, 14:32
Hard start is because PCM is in limp-home mode caused by DTC17-18 - engine is running off the Crank Position Sensor, only - if no easy resolution, you could change the Optic Sensor module - not really a difficult task, just need to be observant in the removal\replace-al, and be pristinely clean while doing so

gmenor
08-10-2007, 15:03
Thank's for your help. At least I have it narrowed down to the IP.

gmctd
08-10-2007, 16:07
With all that as worst-case - and prolly is, at 100kmi - could also be caused by really bad fuel - what was chronology of last fill-up to failure event? How's fuel filter appearance ? How's fuel appearance, drained from water-drain tap? If it's dark and cloudy, Optic Sensor becomes a Murk Sensor............

gmenor
08-10-2007, 17:10
I had changed the fuel filter about two months ago. The fuel filter did not look bad at all. The fuel I bled out was clear, I also use Stanadyne IP lubricant (red lable) and Performance (blue label) additives. I got fuel where I normally buy fuel and did not have any problems prior this. The truck ran like a champ the day prior everything within normal range (boost, EGT and trans temp). It was extremely hot and humid. Although I did put the Fluid dampner about a week ago, which really smooth out the idling and smoother accelleration. I'll go to Diesel Power of Fayetteville, Monday (closed on weekends) because they rebuild diesel IP in the area.

Artworks
08-10-2007, 19:36
Had the same thing going on with my truck setting code 17 and 18, tryed many things, finally took the optic filter out , connected the wiring harness direct, eliminating the optic filter, runs great, hasn't set code in over 2 months.

gmenor
08-11-2007, 05:31
Artworks,
Are you talking about wiring the the fuel shut off solenoid to the wiring harness? How did you do it?

Robyn
08-11-2007, 07:40
The filter harness is the small little wiring harness that runs from the main engine harness to the square little block on top of the IP. This little harness has a rectangular little bock in it.
The Optical sensor is the box on top of the IP.
The fuel shutoff is the round device on the front left corner of the IP with the little hex on top. This device is what turns the fuel on and off to allow the engine to run or to shut it off.

Robyn

gmenor
08-11-2007, 08:33
Thanks Robyn,
I should have been clearer on my question. I didn't see the wiring coming out of the OS. Instead of cutting the harness to bypass the OS I will just order a new IP - unless I can find a vendor who sells just the OS. Current pump is DS-4 5288.

gmctd
08-11-2007, 11:00
Follow the 6 wires out of the OS to the connector - disconnect it and pull the mating connector out from behind the IP, you'll find the rectabular molded rubber OS Filter and a second connector - disconnect it there, and plug the engine harness connector directly to the OS connector - see how engine runs minus the Filter - if better, the filter is failing - if not better, the OS is failing - you can get the OS from yer friendly local IP shop - again, at 100kmi, I'd plan on a replacement IP, as the Fuel Solinoid is prolly pretty far gone- a later 5521 will directly replace the 5288, works fine lasts a long time

gmenor
08-12-2007, 13:11
JD,
Instead of screwing with the beast I am just going to get a new injector pump. While I'm in there take care of the leaking valve covers. Contemplating new injectors/glow plugs since everything will be out of the way. Injectors has about 50k and glow plugs are 5 seasons old (from JK). Problem is getting a new injector pump by mid week - I leave Sunday for a 2 week trip. Beside getting gaskets any advice/input I should know or be aware of putting it in?