PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here...

GVWR
08-13-2007, 10:23
I just bought an '06 GMC 2500 HD with the LBZ.
The truck has 18K miles. GMC dealer says they serviced it, which means what?
What should I do first?

Thanks

Mark Rinker
08-13-2007, 10:50
By all means, ask your dealer what they did as part of that service. With that shop work order in hand, here is my advice, in order of importance:

1) Read your manuals and digest the service intervals. Meeting or exceeding (with documentation) will bode well for you in the case of future warranty work.

2) Regardless of what use the truck has seen - make sure that the rear diff has been serviced, meaning replaced with a high grade synthetic. If it hasn't, do that before anything else. http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=28686

3) Pick a good synthetic diesel engine oil that meets or exceeds manufacturers specs in step #1, and start a consistant regimine. Personally, we do 10K oil change intervals with Mobil Delvac 15/40. OEM paper air filters done every oil change, regardless of visual condition.

4) Fuel filters should be done at least every 10K-20K. Not sure what manufacturers specifications are. We carry a spare and necessary wrenches in each truck and haven't been stranded but once in super cold conditions when we were seeing water separating and freezing in the fuel samples. Most here agree that filtration is key to injector longevity, there are additional filtration methods sold and discussed here.

5) Personal choice, but we run sythetics in front diff, and conventional ATF in transmission and transfer cases. Front diffs and transfer cases get done annually, before snow plowing season. Transmissions get spin-on filters and whatever drains (about 7 quarts) out every other oil change, or 20K miles.

Thats what we have been doing. There are other opinions and variations due to your climate and use of the truck, but I stand firm on the advice not to exceed manufacturer's specs if you want good warranty service.

Also I think OEM paper filtration, changed often, is far superior to oiled gauze filters in most towing, high moisture, or high dirt conditions. Daily drivers could probably get by, but every time I have wiped out the inside of the downstream tube with a white cloth, it has reinforced my opinion that oiled gauze is for gassers, not for high volume diesels. Too much fine dirt gets past them.

NutNbutGMC
08-13-2007, 14:12
I just bought an '06 GMC 2500 HD with the LBZ.
The truck has 18K miles. GMC dealer says they serviced it, which means what?
What should I do first?

ThanksJust ask for a copy of the service record.

However, as Mark said, I'd do routine changes of oil, rear-end, and fluids check. As well, I'd want to change the fuel filter.

All for the sake of knowing it was done, unless the said service record says otherwise.

Congrats on your new machine, and welcome to the board here.

STPETEBLUE
08-20-2007, 19:30
Mark, I agree with you almost entirely, except I would NEVER go 20k on a fuel filter. And (according to my old filters) I use pretty clean fuel.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary, etc.

steak2k1
08-20-2007, 20:30
By all means, ask your dealer what they did as part of that service. With that shop work order in hand, here is my advice, in order of importance:

1) Read your manuals and digest the service intervals. Meeting or exceeding (with documentation) will bode well for you in the case of future warranty work.

2) Regardless of what use the truck has seen - make sure that the rear diff has been serviced, meaning replaced with a high grade synthetic. If it hasn't, do that before anything else. http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=28686

3) Pick a good synthetic diesel engine oil that meets or exceeds manufacturers specs in step #1, and start a consistant regimine. Personally, we do 10K oil change intervals with Mobil Delvac 15/40. OEM paper air filters done every oil change, regardless of visual condition.

4) Fuel filters should be done at least every 10K-20K. Not sure what manufacturers specifications are. We carry a spare and necessary wrenches in each truck and haven't been stranded but once in super cold conditions when we were seeing water separating and freezing in the fuel samples. Most here agree that filtration is key to injector longevity, there are additional filtration methods sold and discussed here.

5) Personal choice, but we run sythetics in front diff, and conventional ATF in transmission and transfer cases. Front diffs and transfer cases get done annually, before snow plowing season. Transmissions get spin-on filters and whatever drains (about 7 quarts) out every other oil change, or 20K miles.

Thats what we have been doing. There are other opinions and variations due to your climate and use of the truck, but I stand firm on the advice not to exceed manufacturer's specs if you want good warranty service.

Also I think OEM paper filtration, changed often, is far superior to oiled gauze filters in most towing, high moisture, or high dirt conditions. Daily drivers could probably get by, but every time I have wiped out the inside of the downstream tube with a white cloth, it has reinforced my opinion that oiled gauze is for gassers, not for high volume diesels. Too much fine dirt gets past them.

It don't get any better than that.

If in doubt about the air filter..there is a place to see one of the best unbiased reports on independant lab testing that was done fairly recently. And you will be as surprised as I was that Mark is absolutely right in saying the OEM donaldson type filters are the best fo these trucks.. PM me.

Later on think about secondary: Fuel filtration to 5 micron and oil filtration down to 2 micron. BTW I change out my OEM oil Filter on 10K miles (16k Km) and do my FS2500 Every 20K miles. Ally spin on every 25k miles. (don't forget the magnet..!!)

Lastly get ready to sell your first born cause this is one heck of an expensive hobby..!!

Welcome and cheers..!!

stk