PDA

View Full Version : Stereos Revisited

NutNbutGMC
08-13-2007, 17:57
I have an age old question and am looking for a bit of experienced advice.

I recently bought a 2007 Classic GMC CC with a Bose System. I am in hopes of adding additional sound accessories that I did not allow to go by way of trade in the recent 2002 model (non-Bose). From the 2002 I kept an Alpine XM ready head unit (swapped from the factory unit in 2002). System was comprised of Alpine receiver, XM tuner (not an FM modular setup), 4 Rockford Fosgate door speakers (a moot point for now), a Rockford subwoofer, a Rockford amp, and the XM antenna. I took that entire unit out and put back the OEM into the 2002.

That said, I'd like to know a few things about this new fangled Bose system. I have the single play CD unit.

How much (if any) may I re-install (of the salvaged 2002 set-up) into the current 2007 Bose OEM head unit? I ask this with regards to another thread here that stated one could use the OEM for XM hook-up. Fine by me. I'd really like to think I could add the amp and sub to the OEM unit, maintain (unaffected) the steering wheel controls, and know that the OEM head unit will acknowledge and control the sub / amp adjustment settings.

I feel that this will be a limited add-on from my leftovers; I'm just not sure how limited.

Will I have to replace the entire setup again in order to obtain the use of this salvaged system? Oh I'd hate to lose the wheel controls, as such. I'd likely forego the sub / amp if it will not adapt properly.

I have looked at Crutch's and JP Customs to try and piece-mill this together from their offerings but it becomes an entangled web of information.

May I ask upon the stereo Gurus to advise accordingly?

cowboywildbill
08-14-2007, 10:34
I think where there is a will there is a way. There are interface units available that allow you keep your wheel controls/chimes/Onstar ect. They come in Bose and nonBose applications. Be sure to get the right one for your Vehicle type and year and so on.
They plug into your vehicles wiring harness and then you splice them into your unit/brand.
You can try www.pac-audio.com. they are the one's I have used but I'm sure there are other companies out there that make them also. I am not endorsing any company just giving you an idea for a search. You could try searching for Vehicle audio interface units.
Hope that helps.

NutNbutGMC
08-14-2007, 16:01
:tiphat:

Thank you Sir. That is a good lead for me. Much appreciated.

Kennedy
08-16-2007, 16:54
I would chuck the POS OE Bose head unit also Chuck. It's Chuck right? Been a while, but I think my memory is true...

NutNbutGMC
08-16-2007, 19:14
I would chuck the POS OE Bose head unit also Chuck. It's Chuck right? Been a while, but I think my memory is true...Thank you and I did indeed replace the last one, as indicated above. I'm looking, as time allows. Just a matter of time and finding someone in the know.

I do like my tunes...... digital via satellite...

Your memory serves you well my friend.

Kennedy
08-17-2007, 12:24
Doug at www.auto-d.com should be able to help you.

NutNbutGMC
08-17-2007, 17:28
Doug at www.auto-d.com should be able to help you.Thank you again. You guys rock...

NutNbutGMC
08-30-2007, 18:32
Doug at www.auto-d.com should be able to help you.
I talked to Doug this week. He's a super nice guy to assist. He actually guided me to another place he uses as a supplier and they gave me the equipment rundown. Then I called Doug back and he sent me a nice e-mail with all of the specifics of installation. His first and strongest emphasis was that the trucks after 2002 are a horse of a different color. They are all computer controlled, unlike the pre-2003s. My point here (as was his to me) is that it takes an experienced (or savy) person to install aftermarket components into a post-2002 model. He gave me a lot of good advice, but mainly that one should be experienced, find an experienced installer that knows exactly what he / she is doing, or suffer damage to the truck. He went on to say that even a test light is insufficient to locate leads for splices. Use a volt meter, he says, etc... a really helpful resource.

And as nice as he was, he gave me the breakdown of what he had installed in his machine as a guide to follow for ideas and for a basis of compatibility, as these new units (for OEM replacement components) all require several interfaces for steering wheel controls, satellite hookup, and area antenna, plus speaker adaptor harness if one so chooses to keep the Bose in tact.

On and on. I am sharing this in the case that someone else may benefit and to thank you for the connection. He knew you by name the moment I mentioned diesel and forums.... Spoke very highly of you too....

I will say this as my humble opinion... Bose in the GMCs is not what I was expecting (not that I ordered it) but that is a big letdown, although I was going to replace it anyway. I have to do it ASAP now... the OEM in my Honda Accord sounds better than the Bose in the GMC.... DAMMIT!

If anyone here wants the info that I acquired, I'll be happy to pass it on as a copy and paste from the e-mail (or an attached PDF file here). Nothing special other than good reference.