PDA

View Full Version : brand of Lift pump to use 6.5 TD

h1sp
08-14-2007, 09:13
i have a 2000 6.5 TD and im wanting to change out the lift pump (keepin it maintained)

1. Any brand better then others ??

2. Should i change out the filter at the same time or wait and do it a different day, incase i have issues with the change out??

"The H1 is stock"

3. any Teflon tape to use to reinstall?

4. Any purging tricks i should know about??

Thanks for any info

tommac95
08-15-2007, 05:20
Hello H1SP,
Welcome aboard.
Suggest run the LiftPump until it fails. From the perspective of maintenance, it would be better to equip/prepare/execute a pressure test {and possibly a delivery test} of the LP output ... this can be done at intervals.
New LPs have been known to fail within months. The progressive burning of the points in the OilPressureSwitch (OPS) eventually screws up the LP.
Replacing the fuel filter is a challenging proposition , and a task which is useful to master. I always have two new ones on hand , as i tend to mess up the first new one i try to install. A careful cleaning of the fuel bowl , and inspection confirming existence/placement of the small nylon cylindrical strainer [within the OEM fuel conditioner cannister] is also a profitable venture (will forestall FuelInjectionPump replacement!).
Happy motoring,
T m.
P.S.--
I meant to say , if you conclude that LP replacement is immanent/necessary, figure out whether you want to use the sort of LP that the OEM designed, or something else. The OEM pump has limited/regulated pressure output ... some drivers find that the addition of a supplementary fuel filter necessitates an additional , or unregulated LP. The OEM LPs are available by application from local autoparts. Delco/Delphi is OEM. The DieselPage's advertisers are good suppliers [Jim Bigley, aka 'MorePower', only keeps those advertisers on board which act reputably].
I bought my LPs through Gomers' U.S.Diesel parts. KennedyDiesel stocks not only LPs, but an aftermarket device which supplants the OEM OPS , preserving the LP {it uses solid-state circuitry to turn ON/OFF the LP, thus maintaining its transistor switches}. Rock Auto is a good mail order house , if you want to have a LP on hand....
No teflon tape needed-- the connectors accomodate both flare and oring fittings. Purging required for a filter change, but not LP replacement.

If the H1 is Hummer ... it probably doesn't have an electronic FIP.

h1sp
08-15-2007, 06:13
Great advice, "Thank You"

JohnC
08-15-2007, 10:00
I would NEVER use Teflon tape on a fuel system. Teflon tape is for plumbers!

piersbc
08-15-2007, 12:12
I'll tell my story here for what it's worth.... My lift pump went out a few years ago so I bought a Carter with a lifetime warranty. 2 years later the Carter went out so I got a brand new one for free....one year later this Carter went out and since now Carter is out of business...the auto place offered me a Delphi but only with a one year warranty now. I called the dealer and they told me that if I bought the OEM lift pump from them and had them put it on ($36 labor) then it would have a lifetime warranty. Since these fuel pumps go out too often I went for the lifetime warranty...cost ($145 lift pump) more up front but I'm keeping my rig for the long haul.

john8662
08-15-2007, 12:44
I too have not been impressed with the Carter fuel pumps. Although, my issue wasn't with the electric lift pump, it was on a 6.2L and a mechanical pump.

I hadn't heard they went out of business though :eek:

The delphi pump has been fine, I like two :cool:

bcbigfoot
08-21-2007, 08:27
I have also had problems with the Carter lift pump. I replaced my still operating original 170000 mile lift pump with a Carter, I checked the fuel pressure and was getting 7 psi. After about 500 miles the truck started to get a poor idle. I rechecked pump pressure and only showed 3psi, which isn't enough for proper timing advance on a mechanical pump (as I found out the hard way). I put a new AC delco pump on and the poor idle went away and has stayed at 7psi since.

tommac95
10-11-2007, 19:13
The duration of LPs is partly limited by the cleanliness of the fuel being pumped. The OEM LP has only an "in-tank" strainer upstream ... and these develop holes on high-mileage rigs.

New tank pickups , and additional filters before the LP help.

Turbine Doc
10-11-2007, 19:26
Delphi FD0009-11B1 specced for the 93 mech IP 6.5 has a slightly higher gph/psi than the one for the DS-4 is direct replacement to later model style, flow thru on fail also, sock in tank is 70 micron, sock has bypass element when sock gets plugged little protection to pumping plunger check valve, when valve does not seat properly pump purrs up a storm yet delivers little fuel to the IP which needs 2 psi minimum at WOT to be happy,

pre lift pump frame rail filter 30 or 10 micron is best to sift "chunks" that get past the sock smaller micron will protect the pump as well but will clog faster than 10 or 30 will, the OEM on engine per Stanadyne is 5 micron and more than sufficient filtration for the 6.5 only running 2200 psi injection pressure.