PDA

View Full Version : 1996 6.5L Suburban 2500 4x4 Exhaust System

Jochen Woern
08-14-2007, 14:34
Hello to All.
I have a 1996 Chevrolet Suburban, 2500, 4x4, 6.5l turbodiesel and I want to upgrade the exhaust sytem. Currently, the stock exhaust is on this truck and I want to upgrade to a 4" inch exhaust system.

- What do I buy? BD, Banks? What else is there?
- What does it mean "Turbo back"????? (That the exhast system starts right behind the Turbo Charger, thus "Turbo back").
- Do I need the cross over pipe? Is it included in the system?
- What is the cost of the system you may be recommending?
- How tough is the installation, can I do it myself?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated, thanks to you All in advance.

Regards,
Jochen
1996 Chevrolet Suburban,
2500, 4x4, 6.5l turbodiesel

DA BIG ONE
08-15-2007, 04:14
I've done almost as much as can be done enhancing performance but got a 3" system and need 3.5" or 4.0". In turbo back the downpipe can only be 3" (limited space) until it reaches below chassis from there 3.5" or larger is desired. Race mufflers will be loud, while larger straight flow through will be quieter.

Bill Heath states a 4.0" system is best for his stage3 performance mods package, I tend to go with this and will be adding a 4.0" system soon to complete my upgrades.

If you are handy ceramic coating can be had for self application or through a vendor, great if your truck is a keeper.

Robyn
08-15-2007, 07:47
Hello and welcome to TDP :D:D:D

The Heath system is a good choice as is the Banks
If you dont have to worry about emissions testing the Turbo back is the way to go iof you do then a Cat back is your only choice
If you go with a Package system they go on easy and work great.
My 95 dually has a Banks Stinger 3-1/2 system and works great and sound nice too without any nasty drone.
The cross over can be had as an extra and is a good addition.
Good luck

Robyn

Shikaroka
08-15-2007, 08:21
I pretty much have the same truck as you.
I recently installed the Jardine System (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-6-5-GMC-1994-2000-4-Diesel-Exhaust-J-Jardine_W0QQitemZ180149128233QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem180149128233).
It is a nice kit, went on pretty easily, added a little more grunt to her, and sounds nice. I'd recommend it or any of those by advertisers here.
I put on the 2.5 mandrel bent cross-over pipe too. It doesn't come with the exhaust kits and must be purchased seperately.

I took some comparison pictures and when I get some time I'll add them to the photo album.

moondoggie
08-15-2007, 09:59
Good Day!

Might try John Kennedy - he has a 3 1/2" system & claims there's no need to go bigger; he actually has a chassis dyno, so maybe he knows... ;) Yeah, I like John, but keep in mind that (if memory serves) the record 6.5 Power Pull was accomplished by ronniejoe, & I think he's got JK's 3 1/2" system.

IHMO you won't go wrong with any of the vendors mentioned.

Blessings!

john8662
08-15-2007, 10:19
I pretty much have the same truck as you.
I recently installed the Jardine System (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-6-5-GMC-1994-2000-4-Diesel-Exhaust-J-Jardine_W0QQitemZ180149128233QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem180149128233).
It is a nice kit, went on pretty easily, added a little more grunt to her, and sounds nice. I'd recommend it or any of those by advertisers here.
I put on the 2.5 mandrel bent cross-over pipe too. It doesn't come with the exhaust kits and must be purchased seperately.

I took some comparison pictures and when I get some time I'll add them to the photo album.

I have this system on my '95 Burb and it's a good system, but the hangers are (perhaps were) all the wrong places to work with the factory mounting points.

It's an ok system if you install the downpipe and take the truck down and have and exhaust shop cut off the hangers off the pipe, position the pipe and put their own hangers on.

The bends are right on though.

Just my .02

Shikaroka
08-15-2007, 11:14
Yeh, the hangers were a little off, but I was able to install it without moving anything. It only took me a couple hours.

bl78ljb
08-15-2007, 12:44
While we are on the subject I was looking at an exhaust for my Suburban as well (once the engine is finally sorted out), and when I was looking I noticed that the SS Diesel exhaust is available in 4" and as stainless steel. I was wondering if anyone has used his exhaust and any opinions on it. I would like to get one exhaust and be done and so far this is the only stainless system I have seen for our trucks.

Jochen Woern
08-15-2007, 15:43
Wanted to thank you all for all your input. Since I am new to this site, I am amazed of how many responses I got in this very short period of time. Again, THANK YOU.

I checked the Jaradine System on eBay as well and thought it was very affordable. Glad you guys think it works well.

BANKS says they have nothing in 4" inches for my truck.

Heath Diesel has a 4" inch system as well which looks promising, however quite a bit more in price than the Jaradine.

Take care,
Jochen

TheGatherer
08-16-2007, 13:02
...I put a 4" Jardine system with the straight-thru muffler on my 99 burb and it was a piece of cake,... some points to help, use a sawsall to cut the old pipe to remove it, take out the inner fender of the passenger side wheel well it's a lot easier to tighten the to the turbo , and get it all lined up before you tighten... I put a 18" 'turn down' pipe on the end of mine to keep the front of the travel trailer and the rear 1/4 panel clean and the sound is a little less in the burb with that...

all of the systems I've seen mentioned here are good stuff,... I just had to ask 'she who controls all' before I spent the money, so I got the inexpensive one...

Jochen Woern
08-16-2007, 15:46
Thanks again for the info on the Exhaust System.

Jochen Woern
08-18-2007, 09:32
Some more questions for all of you enthusiasts out there:

- I have an aFe Stage 2 Performance Filter Kit coming.
- I am planning to upgrade the exhaust with the Jaradine 4" inch System
(I decided to go with the Jaradine due to all of your positive input as well as the price - since I know all to well that I have to ask "the one who controls it all" also).

Other than that, my truck is STOCK.

- With the upgrade to a 4" inch Exhaust System and the Performance Air Filter, will I be able to notice a difference in horsepower/acelleration?
- Will I be able to notice more torque when pulling my 9,000 lbs. Travel Trailer?

My Burb is built in July of 1996 (would this be considered a "late 1996 model"?) and can anyone tell me if I should already have the upgraded waterpump with the dual thermostats installed from the factory as it was introduced in the 1997 model year?

- How can I tell the difference when lookiong into the engine compartment between the smaller water pump with single thermostat vs. larger waterpump with dual thermostats? Anyone out there have any comparison pictures?

I am curious to find out what all of you out there have to say.

Thanks in advance and I thouroghly enjoy th e TDP website and all of your VERY valuable input.

Regards,
Jochen

lifer
08-18-2007, 12:04
Here are some pics that might help of a 1996 K2500 Sub

Jochen Woern
08-18-2007, 16:18
Thanks, but I guess I am too stupid because I can not see the difference in the two pics?

lifer
08-18-2007, 20:12
The pics are not the best for showing the difference. If you look at the thermostat housing from the opposite side of where the camera is, you would see the outlet cover either for 1 or 2 thermostats.