PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Add Cruise control?

Jarmstrong
08-15-2007, 10:35
I'm about to buy an ST D/A 4wd, can I add cruise when it isn't factory like the dodges and fords? is it pre wired for it?

thank you

DmaxMaverick
08-15-2007, 11:43
Install the cruise/signal stalk, and program the PCM with a Tech II to enable cruise. It is prewired. I've seen some that didn't need the programming change, but it should. You could get lucky.

chrisinkanata
08-22-2007, 18:55
DmaxMaverick - Would you be able to comment on whether or not the same is true for an '04 Pontiac Sunfire? My better half just bought a used one but it doesn't have cruise. I've been searching around for this info, but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks,

Chris

DmaxMaverick
08-22-2007, 19:40
DmaxMaverick - Would you be able to comment on whether or not the same is true for an '04 Pontiac Sunfire? My better half just bought a used one but it doesn't have cruise. I've been searching around for this info, but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks,

Chris
Don't know for sure, never done a car. I didn't know they made american cars anymore w/o cruise. The difference would be the throttle type. If it's drive by wire, it should be possible, as all the cars (Pontiac, Chevy, etc) of the same body series share programming, and they use universal wire harnesses like the trucks.

If the throttle is cable (like my '00 Impala), a quick trip to JC Whitney online would get you all you need, cheaper than a stalk alone at the dealer. I know folks that have used them recently on late models (not 2004 late, though) and they work as advertised. The hardest part of the install was gluing magnets. Some cars require them on the CV shaft, others elsewhere, depending on the model. Some even on a pulley or balancer. It only needs a reference for the cruise speed or RPM. JCW should have an application chart that'll help.