PDA

View Full Version : 12v Vacuum Pump

wthif
08-15-2007, 15:23
Anyone know of a inexpensive 12v vacuum pump? All I need vacuum for is my HVAC controls and nothing else and would rather not have a mechanical vacuum pump when I do my conversion. Ideally the vacuum pump would have an automatic shutoff and start.

Thanks

convert2diesel
08-15-2007, 19:15
Most Volkswagons and the Mercedes used a small vacuum pump to run the door locks and such and is more then enough for the HVAC controls. The VWs can be scored cheap (5bucks) from the scrap yard. Problem is is that there is no real good (all right... cheap) sources of a vacuum switch to shut it down when not needed. Used the VW one on my Buick conversion but got tired of the constant buzzing. The pump didn't seem to care but I don't know how long it would last running constantly. Finally gave up and installed the mechanical one back on. Much quieter now.

Bill

DA BIG ONE
09-10-2007, 10:43
Volvo 700/900 volvos have a real good and small vacuum pump, use a vacuum canister and pump will not run much............................

Fightfan
07-07-2008, 02:00
Stainess Steel Brakes makes a pump kit that is universal. It comes with a relay and everything needed. You can get the pump with varying output rates. From 16" to 24" of vacuum. It's sold on their website, but you can get it cheaper out of JEG'S PN 884-28149. The SSBC PN 28146. I hope this helps.