PDA

View Full Version : block heaters

tradr1
08-31-2005, 18:20
does anyone out there recommend a particular block heateer for 6.5 turbo diesel and what they recommend for cold starting

Hubert
08-31-2005, 19:03
Welcome; fill in your signature with truck info model, yr, and modifications so we know what your talking about.

I think all factory pickups have a built in heater. The plug on my 97 K2500 is a Std US grounded 3 legged 110v plug coiled up near the steering box.

A recent thread just recommended an oil pan heater. I like the logic of having the oil heated too so its ready to circulate and lubricate. Depending on local temps you may have to do something about the oil cooler though.

GMC Hauler
09-01-2005, 02:55
What would you have to do about the oil cooler? oil doesn't circulate while shut down. Do you mean that you have to cover the grille in the winter?

Hubert
09-01-2005, 03:10
Yes, something like that. I guess it won't instantly chill the oil back down. But warm oil from the pan will immediately try and circulate through the oil cooler then to engine. When its cold and it takes more pressure to circulate through cooler a pressure relief will allow warm oil to feed motor but just thinking it kind of defeats the purpose to have it warmed and its going to try and cool it first.