PDA

View Full Version : Oil filters and fuel filters

Jarmstrong
08-18-2007, 06:47
We're buying my wife a 07 lbz... I'm pretty excited, I get it when it's paid off ;)
I'm new to the duramax but have a lot of experience with the cummins and psd, and with alot of marine and big truck engines. I'm a die hard amsoil guy but the won't be putting it in the engine until after the warranty is up. i like schaeffer's so I think I'll use the 5w40.
What oil filters and fuel filters are recommended? is gm wierd about warranty if certain filters are not used? I like and am impressed with amsoil, hastings, donaldson, and baldwin filters. any problem using these?
thanks
-Jason

Robyn
08-18-2007, 07:49
Just to cover your tail use whatever MA General says until the warranty is over. :)

After that its pretty much up to you as to what to use.

I have used the synth oils but I'm of the opinion that they are too $$$$ for what you get.
Fillters are another area thats a toss up. The names you mention are good. I use Napa Gold on all my rigs even the big truck (Cat)

The fancy stuff IMHO is $$$ spent for little return.
Be sure your fuel filter is a 2 micron to keep the system happy and clean.

If the fuel filter is not 2 micron a Racor might be a good addtion.

Good luck and enjoy the new truck :D:D

Robyn

gillguy
08-22-2007, 13:35
If you like Amsoil, why not use it now?
As long as it meets the API requirement your good to go.
As for filters I've been trying to decide on which one I'm going to use.
I've got 7687 miles on it and changed the oil/fuel/spin-on trans filter to Wix yesterday. The Wix fuel filter (33910) has a micron rating of 4, which is the lowest I could find (published), if there is one lower I'd like to know about it.
As for oil I used Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40.
The one gripe I have on the Wix filters is that there are not any little ridges to get a grip on. It's a heavy filter though and doesn't feel the least bit soft like some of the others that you can squeeze in the sides like a coke can.

Kennedy
08-23-2007, 06:01
I run Baldwin on all of my stuff, and Mobil 15w40 petro or 5w40 synthetic.

Amsoil doesn't TEST many of it's oils to a given API service. They RECOMMEND for API service. Nothing wrong with the oils, just watch the play on words...

mr. monte
08-23-2007, 06:13
stay away from fram filters, my engine builder (for my race car) likes wixs & AC

I am a diehard fan of schell rotella for diesel engines, I have been using it for over 20 years in my work trucks, it is also recommended by my engine builder for the amount of zinc in it, I have never had a oil related problem in any of our trucks

tufcj
08-23-2007, 11:04
Unless you find old stock of Rotella (SH rated), most of the zinc is gone. ALL the new SJ rated diesel oils have hardly any zinc in them anymore. All part of the 2007 standards. The zinc will clog the exhaust particulate filters on new trucks.

Bob
tufcj

steak2k1
08-28-2007, 21:47
congrats on your new ride - I am sure you will enjoy it BIG time..!!

as for Filters and other stuff...

Air - OEM. 'spensive but rated simply the best in efficiency and air flow...and that includes any of the rechargeable types that were tested right alongside. (dieselplace.com - search: Spicer Filter study)

Oil: AC Delco OEM, WIX or Baldwin are excellent. FRAM is Garbage. period

Fuel: I buy the Napa Gold series most of the time.

OIL type: dino - why because I drive 800+ miles a week and change it out regularly. Doing so with synthetic is a bit pricey for me.

Tranny: I just serviced it, although not all the fluid was removed...I used Dextron IV..it was way way cheaper than Transynd.! and should be good for 100K. Red spin-ons get changed regularly at about 25k...don't forget the magnet.! don't ask me how I know..!

Front/Rear Diff - TC: All synthetic. (watch for Transfer case leaks/small holes developing - due to a known problem called "pump rub") typically after 50-60K.

I also use secondary fuel and oil filtration and with a blocked EGR , figure my motor stays cleaner - longer.

FYI:
Other thing to possibly keep on look out for is the ISS: Intermediate Steering Shaft...seems that many many owners since I believe 1998 (6.5, Yukon etc) and onwards in not only our but all the truck platforms have had this problem: at slow speeds and mostly when turning sharply left, a noticeable cluncking sound can be observed and possilby felt in the steering column. There is a fix with a new style ISS designed. but I have heard reports that in some cases it did not relieve the problem...not sure what GM is doing in those cases. Had mine done and to date no issues.

Other than that though...Great engines - awesome tranny.! Love these things!!

Rgds,

stk

steak2k1
08-28-2007, 21:51
congrats on your new ride - I am sure you will enjoy it BIG time..!!

as for Filters and other stuff...

Air - OEM. 'spensive but rated simply the best in efficiency and air flow...and that includes any of the rechargeable types that were tested right alongside. (dieselplace.com - search: Spicer Filter study)

Oil: AC Delco OEM, WIX or Baldwin are excellent. FRAM is Garbage. period

Fuel: I buy the Napa Gold series most of the time.

OIL type: dino - why because I drive 800+ miles a week and change it out regularly. Doing so with synthetic is a bit pricey for me.

Tranny: at last service I used Dextron IV..it was way way cheaper than Transynd.! and should be good for 100K. Red spin-ons get changed regularly at about 25k...don't forget the magnet.! don't ask me how I know..!

Front/Rear Diff - TC: All synthetic. (watch for Transfer case leaks/small holes developing - due to a known problem called "pump rub") typically after 50-60K.

I also use secondary fuel and oil filtration and with a blocked EGR , figure my motor stays cleaner - longer.

FYI:
Other thing to possibly keep on look out for is the ISS: Intermediate Steering Shaft...seems that many many owners since I believe 1998 (6.5, Yukon etc) and onwards in not only our but all the truck platforms have had this problem: at slow speeds and mostly when turning sharply left, a noticeable cluncking sound can be observed and possilby felt in the steering column. There is a fix with a new style ISS designed. but I have heard reports that in some cases it did not relieve the problem...not sure what GM is doing in those cases. Had mine done and to date no issues.

Other than that though...Great engines - awesome tranny.! Love these things!!

Rgds,

stk