PDA

View Full Version : ToddMeister's GM Diesels

ToddMeister
08-18-2007, 16:47
The first GM diesel vehicle I owned was a 1980 Olds Cutlass Supreme Dark Metallic Blue 4 Door with the 350 diesel. I purchased it used in 1989 with about 150,000 miles on it for $1200, 50K on a newer GM Target replacement engine. This car ran flawlessly for the 5 years I owned it. I never touched the engine, except for routine maintenance. I sold the car in 1994 with nearly 200,000 miles on it. Averaged 28 mpg all the time. Started down at less than 0 degF without being plugged in (I never plugged that car in the entire time I owned it). One of the few good ones made I suppose... BTW I loved the seats in that car, so comfy!!!!!

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/TRUCK87.JPG
My next GM diesel vehicle was a 1987 R-10 2wd short box 6.2L diesel pickup purchased in July 1990 for $6500. It had 78,000 miles on it when purchased. It needed a little TLC when I bought it. Underneath was full of mud, shock absorbers were shot, needed fresh rubber, and TCC lockup didn't work. But the engine ran well. I owned the truck several years, sold it to my oldest brother, then bought it back from him a few years later, then sold it back to him a few years later. He had owned it since then but has recently sold it, with well over 200,000 miles on the odo. Still has original injector pump and 700R4 transmission. A couple water pumps, 2 starters, and 2 alternators, 1 glow controller, and 1 set of glow plugs were the only components replaced on the engine, AFAIK. Averaged 20mpg all the time with this truck.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/1995_Chevy.JPG
My next GM diesel was a 1995 Chevy C1500 2wd standard cab long box 6.5TD purchased new in February 1996. This truck was featured in The Diesel Page with a review of the BD Power Chips. It was also one of the first diesel pickups to have an A-pillar Gauge Pod with boost/pyrometer gauges. I also installed a Banks exhaust system on this truck. I owned this truck until November 1998, when the Chevy was traded on a nearly new 1999 Ford 7.3 PSD (I could write a novel on that Ford LOL). The only major problem with the 1995 Chevy was the injector pump. It came with a blue tag pump from the factory, and the dealer replaced it with a green tag pump.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC_0019.jpg
My next GM diesel is a 1995 GMC K2500 Extended Cab 4X4 6.5TD with 116,000 miles purchased in April 2002 from a local dealership. The truck had no power and was popping through the intake. Well I rescued this truck (dealer took a big $$$ loss) and my neighbor towed me home. Major problems discovered were a plugged catalytic converter and a broken push rod on Cylinder #1. I installed a used pushrod and a new 3-1/2 inch Kennedy Diesel exhaust system, and the truck ran much better. I fished the mangled push rod through the oil pan drain hole.
I have done many mods to this truck, and it is my daily driver to/from work. It currently has 154,000 miles, and runs quite well. Does have a slight tick/knock from time to time. Modifications:
Kennedy 3-1/2" Exhaust
TurboMaster Wastegate Controller
Custom Tuning using Wester's OBDI Software
Kennedy Headlight Booster Harness
Kennedy FSD Cooler w/ extension harness
Trailer Tow Mirrors
Tonneau Cover
Michelin LTX LT265-75R-16 LRC Tires
Amsoil Bypass Filter with Rotella-T Synthetic 5W-40 Oil

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/05gmc.JPG
My next GM diesel is a 2005 GMC Crew Cab SB 4X4 Duramax/Allison, purchased new in July 2005. Currently has 32,000 miles as of July 2007. This is my recreational vehicle, driven primarily on the weekends. Of all the GM diesel trucks I've owned , I prefer this truck the most.

Modifications so far:
Custom Tuning with EFILive
EGR Blocker Plate
ISSPro EGT/Boost Gauges on A-Pillar Pod
DIY Cold Air Intake
Amsoil Eaa Air Filter
Putco Stainless Steel Tube Grill Insert
Putco Stainless Steel Box Rails
Truxedo Tonneau Cover
Michelin LTX LT265-75R-16 LRE Tires
06 Towing Mirrors

NutNbutGMC
08-18-2007, 17:58
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I just bought a 07 LBZ that is silverbirch in color. I am still indecisive if I like it as well as the last pewter color. Not a lot of difference but it is a bit noticable, as I placed the color-code pewter painted topper on this silverbirch. No one notices that has spoken up, so far.