PDA

View Full Version : My Truck's Bigger than Your Truck

rustyk
08-19-2007, 20:29
I haven't seen many vehicles on TDP other than Burbs or Pickemups. So here's a picture of StaRV II, whose main function is to transport my two (not-spoiled) Golden Retrievers, lots of astronomy equipment, and me to astronomical sites.

Behind it is my most used scope, an 11".

This is my first GM diesel (I have a Ford 1-ton van with the IH 6.9L NA diesel, and have owned several in cars, besides M-B, the odd one being an '81 diesel Nissan Maxima 5-spd. But being a marine engineer, I just like diesels because they're easy to keep happy, and don't mislead you. But I speak wtihout experience (nor the desire to get any) about electronically-messed-with diesels...

gmctd
09-06-2007, 10:07
Certainly a lot more comfortable, also - what's the configuration, 4L80E output to drive axle.

Is this the one you were agonizing over replacement 6.2, 6.5 upgrade, and we were suggesting IH or Cummins - or was that another member, here?

How's the power vs thermal dissipation with the engine at the rear?

rustyk
09-14-2007, 19:17
Certainly a lot more comfortable, also - what's the configuration, 4L80E output to drive axle.

Is this the one you were agonizing over replacement 6.2, 6.5 upgrade, and we were suggesting IH or Cummins - or was that another member, here?

How's the power vs thermal dissipation with the engine at the rear?

I wasn't agonizing over engine replacement (although I would have been had AMG not bought the 6.5L TD from GM). A Peninsular Diesel engine (done to my specs) has been a worthwhile investment.

Thermal dissipation is excellent, but one should know that the radiator on my diesel pusher has about 3X the capacity of the typical front-engine setup - and the oil cooler and A/C condenser have their own sites. Only the transmission (a 4L80E [HD aftermarket] as you mentioned) has a passage in the radiator. The radiator fan dwarfs those in pickups.

Drive axle is a Dana 80, but I don't know the ratio. It, and the tranny, have Mag Hy-Tech pans/covers.

gmctd
09-15-2007, 07:35
It is a neat rig.

I'm wondering about the pusher drive configuration - would be axle, driveshaft, transmission, engine rearmost? Is the powertrain on a sub frame to compensate for a really short driveshaft?

rustyk
09-17-2007, 20:49
It is a neat rig.

I'm wondering about the pusher drive configuration - would be axle, driveshaft, transmission, engine rearmost? Is the powertrain on a sub frame to compensate for a really short driveshaft?

In common RV lingo, diesel pusher (a/k/a "DP") means the engine and transmission are in the rear. Advantages are many. The engine compartment is huge, and everything is readily accessible (on mine, the engine is under the bed - giving me a 5' wide x 6'+ long hatch). This isn't true of all DPs - especially those with slideouts. One of my friends owns a premier 39' DP, and there are seven hatches (some of which require removing parts of the interior for access) to get to parts of the engine.

Running down the road, the engine is barely audible (just enough to hear how it's doing). The downside is that when one installs an EGT or tranmission temp gage, there's 30' of wire to snake through the cable runs...

The engine and tranny both ride on the main frame. With the very stiff suspension of the Spartan chassis, driveline flex isn't a problem (but I do keep the universals and splines greased...what's that, you say? Your truck doesn't have grease fittings on the universals? Crude!).

Since my 28' shares the all-mechanical suspension (leaf springs, no airbags) with the 30' (+2K lbs.) and 32' (+4K lbs.), to say it "rides like a truck" is an understatement, especially since the driver's seat is directly over the front axle. The upside is that it handles very well, and I don't have to park it until crosswinds exceed 40 mph.