PDA

View Full Version : Diesel in a 62 chevy C20?

shgilman
08-20-2007, 09:21
Okay members,
Here's the $19.95 question. I have a 62 Chevy C20 with the "Torsion Bar" front suspension. Its all 8-lug with a corporate 14 bolt in the rear. The frame is a "k" type all boxed and is in great shape with no weaknesses. The truck is now painted minus wiring, ready for its new powerplant. I have all new SW electronic gauges in the custom dash.
What is the opinion and advice of the members on whether the torsion bars would support a 6.5 TD or the new duramax. I do believe they are adjustable but I am concerned about their ability to support the added weight of the motor. Comments are welcomed. The thought of having a torque monster over a gas guzzling SBC or BBC really appeals to me. I remember shredding some tires with my old 6.5 TD in my 92.

Regards,
S.

shgilman
08-21-2007, 09:29
Okay, bumping it to the top for a reposnse from the members and experts. Any information or links is appreciated

S.

Jaysinspaceman
11-09-2007, 09:45
I know that these trucks came with the old boat anchor 305ci V-6, that engine has to weigh close to 1000lbs all dressed up with no where to go. So I don't think that there would be any problem with the 6.5 in it's place. Good Luck

Craig M
11-12-2007, 08:46
I concur, a non electronic 6.5 should do you a nice job. The Duramax or electronic 6.5 will be a lot of electrical work.

convert2diesel
11-12-2007, 18:53
I concur. When I did the Buick conversion I was fully prepared to change the front springs as the original 305 gasser was at least 200 lbs lighter then the 6.2. Well as things happened, my custom budget ran out before the job was completed. That meant the springs would have to wait.

Well we are still waiting. When everything was buttoned up, it turned out I only lost about 1/2 inch in ride hieght. No prob.

As your truck had many a snowplow installed with the bars cranked up, the extra wieght of the engine should be no problem. The wieght of a plow is significantly more then the difference in engine wieghts.

Bill

mhagie
11-14-2007, 19:00
Back in the 70's we had a 1960 C10 with the torsion bar set up,we had a BB 396 in it and there were no issues whatever.
That SOB would haul butt.
Merle

journeyman
11-29-2007, 13:46
Don't the Dmax engines have aluminum heads?
Something tells me that these weigh in between 800 - 900 Lbs.
Also, those 60's trucks tended to have low ratio differentials.

If you can get a Dmax with the 6 speed Allison, it will set you back a bit (OK, a lot). but It is a great engine and the 6 speed Allison has a .62 top gear making whatever rear end you have very usable for normal driving.

Craig M
12-03-2007, 09:44
The Duramax/Allison combination is a great powertrain. It is however all electronic. The parts, pieces and connections to get a working vehicle would keep a certified auto electrician busy for along time. A backyard auto mechanic like me would get very frustrated trying to figure out all the conections and subsequent gremlins.

journeyman
12-08-2007, 21:47
A lot depends on your goals, budget and your abilities.
The Duramax/Allison is by far the best performing, highest tech alternative (high on the 'cool factor' too) and possibly one of the lighter combinations since it has aluminum heads, where as the absolute simplest would be to bolt in an old 'Toroflow' V6 GMC diesel in place of the original (what was there, V6?) gasoline engine. It is nearly a bolt in swap from the gas V6. BUT... This is an OLD engine with very old technology. Doesn't have much power, doesn't give very good fuel economy.

Between these two extremes are a miriad of diesel engines with a wide range of complexity, weight and performance

I have seen complete Duramax engine/transmission/electronics setups for sale that seem perfect for a conversion... Just would need to look hard for it.