PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Towing and Payload Questions

Lil'red
08-20-2007, 16:10
I am about to install an airlift superduty57000 kit on my '84 3/4ton, for a large construction project towing trailer loads and also in the truck bed itself. What are my weight limits for towing and bed? GVWR? I'm guessing it depends on my trailer hitch and tires but otherwise what am I looking at? Thanks for any replies, sorry for the simple questions, Liam

DmaxMaverick
08-20-2007, 16:26
Regardless of what suspension modifications you do, your legal weight limits are dependent on the manufacturer's rating (GVWR/GCWR), or the declared limit on the title/registration (varies by state). The only way to increase these limits is to reregister the vehicle, if allowed by the state of registration. Your GVWR and GCWR will be the same, before and after the airbag installation. What you do beyond what is legal is your responsibility. The literature that came with your airbag kit will state as much.

Lil'red
08-21-2007, 18:31
So its more about the classification than actual capacity? Just the same with those air bags installed I'm not understanding what my limits are, or am I still not getting something here? The 5,000lb increase deal??? Thanks...Liam

DmaxMaverick
08-21-2007, 20:27
The airbags are rated at 5K. Still, to be legal, you can't exceed the GVWR/GCWR the vehicle is registered for. Just because it can, doesn't make it legal, or right. I've used all the capacity of my airbags, but the situations were unique, and safety wasn't a factor. The truck handled it fine, but it was far from legal for on highway use. Although I tow legal, the added stability and truck leveling is a bonus. I tow right at GVWR and GCWR (maybe a little over) when I hook up the 5'er and load the gear. Before the airbags, it was just OK. After, I'll never go back.

Try to understand. I can only tell you what you can do, legally. More than that and I (and possibly TDP) would be assuming some liability. We can't control all the variables. What you do on your own is your business. The only time I will actively become involved is if I think you are endangering the public. It's happened here before, but some folks just don't get outside the box (ie: care about the risk they place upon others).

Also, there's a lot more to consider than just the suspension's ability. You must also have the powertrain to move the load, and the brakes to stop it. Too little power, and you don't go. Too weak powertrain, and it breaks. Too little brakes, and you have a disaster (hopefully it's something you can live with).

Lil'red
08-21-2007, 22:09
The only reason I continued this posting was to verify the safety of myself, my truck, and others, not to push any limits. I understand your response and appreciate your time and don't plan on maxing anything out at any risk to anyone, I just wanted to gain some comprehension of how the towing, payload, and GVWR thing works out, previously for whatever reason I couldn't wrap myself around it. Alas, I get it...so thank you...Liam

cowboywildbill
08-23-2007, 03:04
Don't forget the tires and the weight /load limits of them. Sometimes after replacing tires, they may not be rated for what the axels are.

Lil'red
08-23-2007, 21:26
Thanks...I've already got my eye on a set of goodyear workhorse load range E...

DmaxMaverick
08-23-2007, 21:54
I really like the Workhorse tires. Problem is, they come in very limited sizes. I've used them on emergency vehicles, and they work very well.

mark45678
09-13-2007, 18:53
the good year g-133 tire would be a better choice , its a full steel belted tire or the michelin xps or any commercial spec tire for exstream weights .