PDA

View Full Version : rebuild info, for norm and others

MikeC
12-12-2004, 17:15
About 3 1/2 years ago the engine got cooked while towing in the mountains. I had the truck about 2 weeks and hooked up the camper we had then, about 7500#, and headed from Ohio to Gatlinburg. On the long uphill near Jellico heading south the engine spiked a temp. I pulled it to the side of the road and let it idle while I added my wife's distilled drinking water from the camper at a slow rate. The temp topped out over 260. I was very concerned at the time but my concern lessened with time.

This past August it began to eat coolant. During one camping trip that was about 200 mles towing and another 200 running around it ate 1/2 to 3/4 gallon. If it was warm and shut down for about 15 minutes the exhaust would blow white smoke for about a 1/4 mile after restarting and hitting the road.

I thought the worst and was ready to stick an engine in it. On the urging of John Kennedy I took it to Jim Croghan in Wilmington, Ohio. Jim pulled the heads and found that as he suspected, it was a head gasket.

That was the only good news.

Exam of the heads revealed they had cracks running from the exhaust valves across the cylinder in at least 3 cylinders. Need a boat anchor :(

The rubbers in both the Harmonic damper and the crank balancer were cracked and looking as if they could fail, new recommended and done.

Also the starter was cranking slow even though the truck got new Optima red tops in May and a new alternator in August. Testing revealed the starter was drawing GOBS (technical term) of power and probably helped the batteries and alternator out the door. New NAPA starter installed.

When all was done the lower end was left alone. New parts added along with transferring my hi flow injectors and new glow plugs into the new heads. I also had them add oil lines that I have been trying to find time to put on for about 2 years. I also had them put my 195 stats back in.

I picked the truck up today and I must say, it starts a lot better than before and runs like a champ. I will not know how it tows until we head south around Easter.

Not that I wanted to do the top end but, it sure beats the heck out of footing the bill for a new engine :D

I highly recommend Jim and can provide his info to anyone that may want him to do some work for them. His work also has a 12 month / 12000 mile guarantee.

Mike