PDA

View Full Version : The ride that gmctd built

gmctd
08-21-2007, 09:27
I joined the 'Page back in ought zero as a direct result of building this truck, seeking 6.5 camaraderie, offering relief from all the 6.5 myths, old wive's tales and snake oil, while looking for any reliable performance upgrades - and still crazy, after all those fears

NutNbutGMC
08-21-2007, 16:56
Nice looking machine. I like it.

Thanks for sharing...

So tell me O-Fair-Truck-Making man.... which shall it be? The Dodge or the GMC....???? What's yEr favorite of the two that you drive?

gmctd
08-21-2007, 20:48
Thanks for your interest - I had a good time building it, and the GMC gets lots of attention, particularly from 18-wheeler drivers when I'm on the road with the twin-truckers cb antennas affixed thereunto, but...........

I also had a good time building the Dodge, and I've always liked the sound of a big six, long since I was a teenager with a Chevy 3-window with the big 272-292cuin six from a GMC dumptruck - six in a row makes it go, you know..........

So - in all honesty, I'd have to say.........yes, to your question as to which is my favorite ;)

ratman
08-21-2007, 21:48
JD, that is one clean lookin' Jimmy!

The dual antennas are the finishing touch, -without a doubt!

Nice classy lookin' rig for sure.

Rich.

ercaduceus
08-21-2007, 21:51
Just imagine the view from the sub-compact car drivers' rearview.

...Clean up in isle 1...

Very nice looking truck.

ratman
08-21-2007, 21:56
Just imagine the view from the sub-compact car drivers' rearview.

...Clean up in isle 1...

Thanks for reminding me why I hang out on the 6.5 forums!

That is hilarious!!! :D

Rich.

ercaduceus
08-21-2007, 22:37
Thanks for reminding me why I hang out on the 6.5 forums!

That is hilarious!!! :D

Rich.

Not for the guy in the sub-compact! HA HA

Knightster
08-22-2007, 07:28
Very sharp, do you still have the interior original?

gmctd
08-22-2007, 08:40
Welcome to the 'Page, Knightster............

Yes, it is the original Sierra SLE interior, dark red, has the factory headliner\trim, power windows, tilt, etc -
did replace the front bench seat with '90 Astrovan buckets of same upholstery pattern and color, much more comfortable

I searched and found the Rallye-pak instrument cluster from an '86 305 Blazer, so the tach would be the correct range and appearance, installed and interfaced it to the CPS input in the PCM for accurate rpm indication - installed the quartz speedo from a '91 Sub, as the '95 OBD1 PCM requires digital Vehicle Speed Sensor input, so that is accurate and tuneable for tire-size - eliminated the small, useless clock, installed the Blazer fuel gage in that location, blacked out the "UNLEADED", leaving the "FUEL ONLY" logo - the tach took over the spot originally occupied by the large Diesel Fuel guage - used the 700R4 shift selector quadrant and indicator from the '91 sub, reads Automatic Overdrive - other than that, the instrument panel appears stock behind the '95 GMC steering wheel - those late GM steering wheels have such a manly feel to them, compared to the early versions, don't you think? - very reassuring, in any traffic event.

I have the new oem replacement for the instrument panel pad, which is starting to crack, but I cannot bring myself to replace the original, as my 5-guage pod mounts atop the pad, right above the main inst cluster, requiring a large hole for the considerable wiring\tubing to pass thru, plus several additional mounting holes - now the add-on guage-pod covers the only cracks in that oem pad - gonna be a big bullet, when it comes time to bite it

Knightster
08-23-2007, 06:27
Sounds like the truck gets a lot of attention, can't wait to get mine to work on.

those late GM steering wheels have such a manly feel to them, compared to the early versions, don't you think? - very reassuring, in any traffic event.

No argument here, I like the 98-02 style best.

warwagon
08-23-2007, 15:36
gmctd; very clean mo' sheen! sounds like you did a super custom job on the dash consortium!!!!!!! nothin' like taken pride of your accomplishments!!!
once i get my scanner back in play i'll shoot some pic's off. take care!