PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or DMax noise?

gillguy
08-22-2007, 13:43
I'm curious as to if others have noticed an increase in the noise of the DuraMax while towing. I'm not complaining about it, I like it :D
I've noticed that I can run empty (no load) at 70MPH and you can't even hear the DuraMax. At 65MPH it's the same, quite. But when I hook up my TT and tow it the same speed and RPM you can hear the DuraMax. I know it's working harder since it has a load on it, but I'm amazed that it doesn't have to increase RPM or anything.

DmaxMaverick
08-22-2007, 14:23
Could be a number of things, including your imagination. When I tow, I tend to pay more attention to the truck than when just cruisin' around. The engine, by nature, will be noisier when loaded. More fuel and higher boost at the same RPM equals a more pronounced combustion event. There will also be more harmonics transfered throughout the truck from additional drivetrain stress and stiffer spring, tire and frame loading. Not to mention harmonics traveling from the trailer to the truck frame.

Towing is more noisy, as it should be. How much and what depends on too many variables dependent on your driving style, equipment, model year, insulation condition, outside temp, and the list goes on. It could be barely noticeable to harsh enough to get out and walk.

cowboywildbill
08-23-2007, 02:46
I think DMax hit the nail on the head. I also think when you are towing a fiver or a box it projects or traps the sounds from the truck and bounces some of the sounds back forward kinda like a sounding board. If that makes sense. I know I get paranoid and listen to everything when I tow. Probably because we would be far from home and a break down can be life altering, or at least a big hassle. And if you listen too hard to a diesel, you will definitley hear things you wouldn't usually notice, and they are probably always there.

gillguy
08-23-2007, 08:00
Well it's not just me hearing it. My friends does the same thing while towing. Also another friend one with a Ford and one with a Dodge said they seem louder while towing. Sure glad I got the DuraMax though because I'm sure it's still the quitest of the bunch. Besides I don't think any truck runs good with out being dressed up with a bow tie on.:D

joncar
08-24-2007, 08:41
same speed (towing or not)=same rpm..my truck has a power drone at 1700/1900 rpm while towing 10,11000 lb 5th wheel...joncar

letsgo
08-24-2007, 12:27
When towing at 50 to 55 mph the truck resonates (maybe the exhaust?) at 60 mph and above its just the same old truck sound.

drive safe