PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum lines plastic to hard line??

bl78ljb
08-22-2007, 20:13
Well, I am still awaiting my truck to be finished the warranty work on the engine, two lines chaffed and IP out of spec being fixed (new GM part covered under warranty). However, I found out that my vacuum pump is on the way out and is currently not pulling enough vacuum. I have a new pump - kudos to JK for the quick shipping and excellent customer service - however, the last time I messed with vacuum lines on my '88 burb I replaced them all with stainless and just had rubber ends for the connections. However, as I do not have the truck to look at I was wondering if anyone here has done something similar and can let me know what size hard line I will need and if possible how much so I can get my parts handy before I dig into the truck. BTW in researching the archives I think I read where someone (moondoggie possibly?) had done this but I didn't find mention of any specifics.

Thanks

Robyn
08-22-2007, 20:45
You can do the hard lines but the complete new harness of plastic is available from GM fairly inexpensive. They come with the new rubber ends and are ready to go.

You can even use vacuum hose if you like. Stainless seems a bit overkill. :D:D

Good luck

Robyn

moondoggie
08-23-2007, 05:49
Good Day!

Yup, I replaced the plastic vacuum lines with soft copper from the hardware store (NOT stainless). IMHO I wouldn't care if they gave me the factory plastic lines, I prefer the copper. (No offense, robyn, just personal preference. ;) I'm well aware that you've forgotten more about 6.2 / 6.5s that I'm likely to ever know. :rolleyes:)

I just bought whatever size it is that slides into the plastic / rubber connectors on the vacuum pump, wastegate actuator solenoid, & wastegate actuator - I haven't yet had to replace these. If memory serves, I just brought a piece of the plastic line into the hardware store & bought the soft copper with the same OD.

Good Luck & Blessings!

bl78ljb
08-23-2007, 06:17
Robyn,
The stainless just looks great, and you don't have to worry about corrosion or leaks, and I can usually find some left over pieces sufficient for these such projects in my dad's pile of "could be used for something later" scraps from his work as an industrial electrician in the bio-tech and high-tech field. Last time I found some very cool aircraft type (maybe that's what they were) fittings that connected the hard line to the threaded vacuum ports on the TBI 350 I was working on.

Moondoggie - I will likely have to do the same then if no one knows the hose size.

Thanks

Robyn
08-23-2007, 07:00
:D:D:D:D:D

Not a problem. If the stainless is what makes you warm and fuzzy, go for it.
I have never had any issue with the little plastic lines whatsoever. However they dont like hot or sharp things.

For vacuum, the material is not particularly fussy. Its obvious that GM used the little molded plastic stuff for $$$$$ reasons and thats the bottom line.

I had a simple set of rubber hoses slopped across the engine in the Burb up until I did the rebuild and they worked fine.
During the rebuild I bought the factory stuff cause I got a chance to get the set as NEW OLD STOCK from a shop that was cleaning house.

Just about anything you want to do with this can probably work just fine.

Later

Robyn