PDA

View Full Version : helpfull hints

lagom
08-23-2007, 09:04
Hi, I just received a set of injectors and glow plugs. I am planning to install myself. I have read several posts on this board, but still have a question or two. I have the special socket for the injectors. I think I can handle the driver side, I am wondering how difficult it is to remove the turbo. For those who have done it, did you use liquid wrench or heat the bolts? I am guessing I should get new bolts to reassemble. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

john8662
08-23-2007, 12:46
The only gotcha on turbo removal is the turbo oil drain gasket. Make sure you have one of these on hand before re-assembly.

The old one is a bit fun to remove as well.

As far as the bolts, they're really nuts, four of them around the "T3" flange. a good 15MM wrench, and a socket wrench with a wabble extension will help get them loose.

Some "liquid wrench" type product should be used on the nuts, PB Blaster works better than WD-40 I've recently learned (slow learner).

It's not completly necesary to remove the turbo to do the injectors, but, as most have said on here, it's MUCH easier to do.

Hope this helps!

daustin
08-23-2007, 12:47
I did mine about a month ago, injectors had been in there for 102,000 miles. Took the turbo off to access the pass side. I soaked them about 10 times over a 10 day period with Kroil, came off with no problems. Use a lot of your favorite break-free product, do it often and liberally for several days. When i put mine back on, the threads & nuts were in excellent shape so i re-used them. Also coated the threads with the high-temp anti-sieze to help when i pull it next time. I got a GM-8 to replace the GM-3 i currently have, hope the -3 comes off easily now. :D Good luck, the pass side glow plugs are really interesting to mess with. :eek:
Don

HH
08-23-2007, 17:18
You can do the passenger side glow plugs from the wheel well, makes it a little easier. I take the RF tire off and put the truck on a jack stand. Get yourself a wobble extension also.

lagom
08-28-2007, 09:46
Thanks, for the info. I am planning the adventure for this weekend. Think I will try to finish the job without removing the turbo. Yea, labor day weekend. Just me and my truck and a set of injectors. Oh yea a cold beverage or two. In a couple weeks I am planning a 4 inch exhaust install as well. I am doing the Tim Allen grunt right now.
Later
Mike