PDA

View Full Version : 18.5:1 piston performence

2k6.5td
08-23-2007, 09:57
I recently required a 2000 6.5 wich soon after cracked the block. I replaced it and had 18.5:1 pistons installed, i plan on putting 4 inch exhaust and a manual waist gate. I think i might also install a reflashed ecm, who makes a good one for motors with 18.5 pistons or would it be best to phone and talk to kenedy, health ect... does anyone have any other suggestions on worth while performance upgrades.

john8662
08-23-2007, 12:41
You have your choice of programs for an lower C/R engine.

The biggest benefit to the lower C/R is the ability to handle a larger fuel and air charge with less stress to the internals of the engine, more durable.

At any rate.

Deal with the vender that gives you the best support for the product they are offering.

I've personally only run Heath's programs and have been very pleased with the features of his program.

They all differ.

J

j_k_auto
08-23-2007, 19:40
I have to agree I ran alot of heath stuff to. If I still had my 6.5 I would of got my chip from heath also:D

Hubert
08-24-2007, 07:47
If going lower compression as mentioned earlier to take advantage of higher boost/fuel you need an intercooler to keep EGT's and heat in general in check. Boost seems fine up to 12 psi non intercooled over 12 psi it should be intercooled. Install EGT and boost guages at a minimum.

If you are going for all out towing performance and longevity a bigger oil cooler and ATF cooler would be good too. A thorough radiator (inside and out) and stack cleaning. Along with general underhood maintenance better wire insulation heat wrap etc (mostly around starter and turbo) if you are going to be cranking up boost and fuel.