PDA

View Full Version : Is it worthwhile to pull my TC off?

DennisG01
08-25-2007, 08:59
With the engine out of the truck, I'm wondering about the transmission fluid. I have always kept the tranny fluid in good condition, but in regards to a tranny flush (once the engine is back in) does it make sense to pull the converter off and dump out the old fluid before the engine is back in? Maybe pour some new fluid in and slosh it around and dump it out again? I do have a new front pump seal to put in, anyways.

How about flushing out the tranny cooler while the radiator is out of the truck? Is it worthwhile to do it now, or is it just as good to wait till the engine is back in?

I'll be doing this on my back - is there anything to be aware of before I do this? Is the weight of the converter managable by one person on his back?

MarkMorissette
08-25-2007, 20:21
Having grown up with a father in the transmission business, I can say that there's no replacement for a proper flush of the entire system. You can never get all the fluid out doing it a bit here and a bit there.

A proper flushing machine removes *all* the old fluid and flushes a quantity of clean fluid through to remove contaminants, etc....then it's filled with clean fluid.

NH2112
08-25-2007, 20:36
I've always done the poor man's tranny flush - unhook the return line from the cooler, put the end in a 5-gallon bucket, and just keep pouring ATF into the tranny with the engine running. A case of ATF should be more than enough.

Robyn
08-26-2007, 08:43
Yank the converter and turn it front side up in a 5 gallon bucket overnight.
You can add fluid through the snout and slosh and drain if you like.
Be sure you replace the front pump seal while the converter is out though. (Seal that the snout slides into)

Not doing this is an almost perfect way to end up with a leaker.

Years ago almost all converters had a drain plug in them and a tranny service always meant draining the converter as well as the pan and changing the filter.
The 80's and the advent of the TCC saw the drain plug go away. :(

The tranny flush machines are a nice tool for sure.
Just irks me to see so much oil basically wasted to do what we used to do with a simple drain plug.

One thing to keep in mind is that the converter is a giant centrifuge and a lot of crap gets stuck into the little nooks and crannies and will never come out unless you dont want it too. :eek:

Good idea though while you can to drain the converter. ;)

Robyn

john8662
08-26-2007, 12:56
The only thing I'd suggest is to remove the converter and replace the transmission front main seal, that's it. Put it back together.

J