PDA

View Full Version : I want to convert a 2000 Ford Expedition

Jayboy
08-25-2007, 11:57
I want to own a diesel, but I don't want to spend $40k plus to replace my 2000 Expedition (all wheel drive). It has 176k miles on it, and when it goes, I'm planning on replacing the engine.

If I wanted to find out about the possiblity of diesel conversion, where is the best place to start? Is this being done on this vehicle? Is there a network of qualified technicians?

I am NOT a candidate for do it yourself. Too big a job. But I am willing to drive or tow it some distance to get 'er done.

trbankii
08-25-2007, 12:20
Since this is mainly a GM page, probably not as many over here familiar with the details of a Ford swap... Might want to post the question on some of the Ford boards.

However, off the top of my head I'd say that it probably isn't a straightforward swap since the F-150/Expedition didn't come with a diesel like the F-250/350/Excursion did and the half ton Fords are decidedly different animals to the 3/4 ton and one ton models - I'd say more so than the differences between the 1500 and the 2500/3500 on the GM side.

Anything is possible, though. Just depends on how much time and money you are willing to spend. I'd Google "diesel Ford Expedition" to see what you turn up and what others may have done.

There are places that do diesel conversions. Generally an expensive proposition if you want a turnkey truck.

Jayboy
08-25-2007, 19:00
Thanks for the reply. I did not realize this was a GM-oriented forum. I have googled it quite a bit, and I am starting to conclude it is a bit of a problem.

JeepSJ
08-28-2007, 15:02
I would look at one of these -

http://www.maxxforce.com/products/details.aspx?classid=1&itemid=001

That was the engine that Ford was going to put into the new F150's (until they stole the design and started producing them through their Land Rover division).