PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy balancer & pulley

Scooby
08-25-2007, 17:40
My 6.5 has been making some new noise lately, and I noticed at first it was only with the A/C on. I figured the compressor may be going out. Now I hear the growl at idle even with the compressor off. I took a look today, and found the crank pulley rubber coming apart. Glad I looked. I guess I will replace both balancer and pulley. Any suggestions where to buy the parts ?? I saw some on SS Diesel- pulley was 86.50, balancer was 95.99 . I dont want China junk, and think I might get that at Autozone or Advance, if they even carry them.

THanks,

Rick

john8662
08-26-2007, 12:54
The best way to get the original will probably be the dealer.

You're right to suspect that you could get a chinese pulley or balancer now.

Try these GM parts numbers at your local dealer:

1994-00 6.5 harmonic damper #10154688
Serpentine Crank pulley #12557345

On another note, if AZ other parts house carries a Pioneer Balancer, it's of good quality.

J

gmenor
08-27-2007, 01:43
I definitely agree with John. Go OEM - it will save you time in the long run. I had a crank pulley that was made in Korea that lasted less than 18 months. Two Vacuumn pumps in 2 1/2 years (Auto Zone - with a life time warranty).

Scooby
08-28-2007, 04:09
I had NAPA get me a pulley for 75.00. I told them if it said was made in a foreign land, I didnt want it. I also got a price from a dealer a few blocks from NAPA. 185.00 . I stopped by NAPA just to read the MADE IN KOREA, then on to the dealer to pay the big bucks. I figure the original lasted 11 years, so the only thing I can complain about is the need to have such an elaborate pulley damper in the first place. It is quite a work of art !!
Now I'm just waiting for my FluidDamper to get here. I will make a tool to install the new damper. Does anyone know the size/thread of the damper bolt ?? I may have to pull it and see what size it is to buy a bolt for my installer.

Rick

john8662
08-28-2007, 08:48
The thread pitch used by the dampner bolt isn't a common or readily available one, so you're best off just buying a spare bolt to modify to make the tool.

Just to save you some trouble there.

J

trbankii
08-28-2007, 09:22
Ok, now I understand the photo Jim posted in the other thread. I was wondering why two bolts were welded together instead of just using a piece of all-thread...

Scooby
08-30-2007, 19:04
I pulled the damper bolt out the other day. It is an m16 x 1.5 thread, which is metric fine. I am getting a 100mm 'stud' in that thread to make a puller out of. McMaster Carr has a good selection of metric, both standard and special thread pitch. I really wanted a piece of B7 threaded rod, but they want like 80.00 for a 1 meter piece. I have lots of the standard metric thread M16, but not the fine thread. I am just waiting for the fluid damper to get here now.