PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Tire Pressure Sensor Problem

yakker
08-26-2007, 11:41
Has any one had an issue with the TPMS? About two days after picking up my new truck the error light came on and I couldn't read the pressure from the right side. Every time I drive it a different sensor goes bad, but then the next time it is just fine and a different one goes bad.

I took it to the dealer and the service manager told me that GM has started putting 10 ply tires on the truck with out updating the computer, and that was the issue. He also told me that I should be running 50psi all around and this also needed to be updated in the computer. To which I told him that I didn't want them set that way, but he set the front to 50 and the rear to 60 anyway and then changed this setting in the computer. He said it should be fixed.

10 minutes later the error light came on. I was towing my 5th wheel at the time so I set the tire pressure to the recommended settings. I was annoyed to say the least

I think this has to be a sensor issue inside the tire. Any one know?

D_R_C
08-28-2007, 13:51
First of all what vehicle do you have???
The GM H.D. trucks with 10 ply tires have the psi labeled 60 psi front and 80 psi rear.(way to high air pressure on the rear when empty)
The lowest you can go on the rear is about 62 psi before the low air warning goes off,the front tires low air warning is set about 42 psi.
I had my rears re-set the same as the front,I run 60 psi on the fronts and 45 psi on the rears when empty.
But when I`m towing my 5th wheel, I up the air pressure on the rears to 70 psi,the high air pressure warning now goes off at 78 psi.

yakker
08-29-2007, 16:00
I have a 2007 GMC 2500HD LMM.

Even with the correct air pressure when I first had the truck it was intermittent.

When I did take it to the dealer it felt like he was feeding me a line with his explanation. I will have to take it back at some point though. Any other suggestions??

Chris_S
08-29-2007, 22:43
Did you check the spare? The spare also has one in it.

yakker
08-30-2007, 19:44
Good point. I'll check it.

Thanks

Yakker