PDA

View Full Version : Chips for the 94-95 6.5 TD

Robyn
08-26-2007, 16:32
I finally got off my butt and fished the computer out of the DaHooooley
The little creature has a BD chip in it along with the Turbo Master from Heath.
The chip was most likely designed to work with the stock wategate controls an boost pressures as the truck will set 78's if I stay on the loud pedal with boost over 8 psi for about 20 seconds or so.
Sometimes if I have the throttle really mashed I can get away with no codes.
I suspect the TM was installed later as the way it is the truck could not have been used to tow heavy with the 78's popping up under heavy load.

Any way the code on the chip is Z-BPAA and there is also BXPY 1624 4788 etched on the chip itself.
The BPAA is on the puter too
Anyone had anything to do with these chips.
The power is good but Im tired of the 78's and Im not going to screw with a fooler.

Mileage is ok with 18 Hwy and 15 city.

I want some real power, the kind that will Melt the tail pipe off. :eek:

HAAAAAAAAAAAA
Robyn

damork
08-26-2007, 16:49
I don't have the numbers close by, but have been running the BD Race chip for over 200k miles. It has provided very good performance, boost to over 12 psi if I want it. Also have a RV chip from BD that has not been used - it never gave the performance that the Race chip did and boost was 8-10 psi.

ToddMeister
08-26-2007, 16:56
I ran the BD race chip and RV chip both in my 95 chevy way back in the late 90's. The race chip was too much for the 1/2 ton regular cab 2wd, I couldn't keep the tires from spinning. So I settled on the RV chip.

For your heavier dooley, the race chip could be lots of fun.

You could also give Lyndon at Wester's Garage a call, see what he has available.

Yet another choice is John Kennedy, he also has some nice tunes.

Many of these tunes disable the code 78's.

Good luck...

Robyn
08-26-2007, 17:06
The level of power now is ok but I dont want to screw around with a fooler to keep the SES light off.

I want a chip that has the over boost worries written out of the programing.

Mine will defuel if I stay in it too long. The max boost is generally about 10 but in top gear if I lean on it I can see 12 after a bit.

Thanks

Robyn

stingthieves
08-26-2007, 20:46
So your another of them that post the same question on several boards on the same day.

I expected more from a moderator!

Robyn
08-27-2007, 06:32
Hmm I dont know why??
Ya never know who reads what and who frequents where.

Several of our people here myself included write under another handle at the place and the GM-diesel.com forum

There are also several folks I have met at the other boards that live close by me that dont frequent this board.

Guess its the Ford Chevy Dodge thing ya know.

Later

Robyn

hayesash
08-27-2007, 19:42
Robyn

I have Heath Diesels Max-E-Tork chip for sale. I took it out of my 95 GMC before I sold it. I was very happy with it.

Pat

Robyn
08-27-2007, 20:23
What is the 4 letter code on the chip?

Thanks

Robyn

Robyn
08-28-2007, 07:15
Thanks to all that repsonded with info.
I have learned that the BD chip thats currently in my dually is a very early one and was stup to work with the factory wastegate controls and not the turbo master.

I will make a decision in the near future as to what is going to replace it.

I dont need a Bazillion HP but power levels that are similar to what I now have will suffice. The most important part is to get rid of the anoying DTC 78's.

My towing is very limited anymore and the rig is used as a Gopher more than anything else.

Thanks troops :D

Robyn

JohnC
08-28-2007, 10:07
Why doncha just fix the vacuum control?

Guarantied if you change the chip you'll never see those good mileage numbers again! ;)

hayes37
09-10-2007, 19:07
I have a 95 C3500 dully and I run from 10 to 15 pounds of boost and never get a code or have the power fall off does this mean my truck already has an upgrade chip in it:confused

Kennedy
09-10-2007, 19:46
I still favor vacuum control of the stock turbo. Boost codes not a problem on a properly written chip. A bit more glow time for better cold starting, and some increased trans psi for solid shifts.

Robyn
09-10-2007, 20:19
Welcome hayes37 :D:D:):D:D
Good to have you on board

Good bet that if you can pull 10 PSI plus and no codes or defuel then its been chipped.

Personally I prefer the mechanical boost control and run the thing with the gauges and my right foot.

The less magic boxes involved the better I like things.

Best setup as far as im concerned was the 93 6.5 with the DB2 and the little spring controler on the wategate.

Replace the springy thingy with a better adjustable springy thingy and your off to the rodeo. :)

I have never liked the vacuum controls. They suck :D

I do think that for the stocker they are probably not too bad though.

My 94 sems to do fine with them but one of these days thats gonna change. :eek:

later troops

Robyn