PDA

View Full Version : Changed Fuel Filter - Now Hard Starts & Rough Idle

TheAmigo
08-27-2007, 18:02
Ok, so I just changed my fuel filter.. The umpteenth time I've done this... Started up the first time after the change no problems. Turned it off, then an hour later when the wife tried to start it up it wouldn't. So, I took the filter out and put it back in.. I discovered the large top o-ring had a crack in it.. So I put the old(good) looking one back on.. Reset everything.. It took a long about 10 -15 seconds of total cranking time to start but it did. Now, though, it idles rough.

Yes, I bled the filter using the screw on top.. It's tight and everything should be ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
08-27-2007, 18:28
How much running since the start after the O-ring change? Did you pump up the primer until it was very hard, after you closed the bleeder?

If it got a slug of air, it may take some running to get it all purged. Should be within a couple minutes of idle, or a good acceleration while driving. If it's still rough, you have a leak you haven't accounted for. Could the O-ring have rolled out of position when you installed it? Did the old inner seal come out with the old filter? Did you damage one of the rubber lines at the filter. They are vulerable with tools flying around. Is there enough fuel in the tank (sorry, gotta ask)? Is the SES on?

You'll either find a leak, loose connection or connector, or it'll smooth out itself in a short period.

TheAmigo
08-27-2007, 19:18
It calmed down after a few minutes of running. No issues at all now. We'll see in a bit when I try to start it again.. Maybe in the morning. My thought is that definitely there was an air intrusion somehow...

But, to cover all the bases:

Yes, it had fuel. No SES light. The top robber seal, located inside the filter, did stick to the fuel filter mount and I had to CAREFULLY pry it off. No broken cables that I saw.

Yeah, that top o-ring is maddeningly easy to get out of whack when installing the new filter.

Thanks for the quick reply.