PDA

View Full Version : scan tool for 94 sub

fshope
04-06-2005, 16:09
I am looking for a scan tool that will allow me to set timing, etc on my 94. According to tech information I need a type 1. So who sales a scan tool that will read my 94 6.5? What d I need to know before I buy?

Recommendations more thank welcome.

Thanks

charliepeterson
04-06-2005, 18:03
OTC sells a bi-directional scanner called a Tech II. Cost is about $3K. This reader is GM specific and is what the dealer uses. You will have to bring it to the dealer to be programed or a retailer who is a member of the GM Tech Line for the programming. IIRC the dealer might charge for programming but after this you're all set. The dealer should have the prom chip for the reader. Get one with the most memory you can. When they are done with the programming you should have all necessary info to work on any GM vehicle up to the date they down load.

This sounds like a lot of work and money but you can't beat what you get. Snap-On sells their latest and greatest MT2500 for about $6K. Granted this will do much more than the Tech II but is two years behind the manufacturers and is not Bi-Directional which you need to reset the timing.