PDA

View Full Version : Polar Flo heat sinc & PMD/FSD

enforcer233
08-28-2007, 07:30
I was looking at the PolarFlo heat sinc with a used, but tested PMD/FSD on Ebay for $159.00 from Edam in Quebec. I searched the forum and found some posts from 2004 which indicated that those who looked at it did not like it because the heat sinc was too small and the fins were too big. Another person indicated that a month after buying the combo that their engine failed and they plugged the old PMD/FSD back in and away they went. I guess that could happen with any used electronic part.

My thought was to buy an extension cable and relocate the heat sinc and PMD/FSD outside of the engine compartment, perhaps behind the bumper, as some of you have indicated that you have done. At this price this combo appears to be a good deal but I was wondering if anyone has had any more recent experiences with this combo?

enforcer233
08-30-2007, 19:25
This does not look good. Obviously you guys are reading the post, bit no one has any comments? Give a brother a break! Somebody say something, even if it is bad. You will not hurt my feelings because I have not purchased one of these, I was looking for feedback first.

Scooby
08-31-2007, 04:00
I read your post, but didnt answer cause I had never heard of the POLAR heat sink. I have a Heath kit, bolted to the lower lip on the front bumper. It sits parallel to the ground, and has been there about 3 years. I have never felt it more than slightly warm to the touch, even after a hard pull, which I dont do often.
Dont feel bad when you dont hear from anyone on here. I know I would not post a reply if I didnt have a good answer, and maybe no one has had dealings with POLAR.

Rick

Turbine Doc
08-31-2007, 15:54
IMO if you want the best; go with the vendor that offers a 7yr warranty, the vendor doesn't say that their system will never fail, but that if it does, they will cover it 7yrs from date of installation.

Forum after forum PMD death is the hot topic "mine is dead/dying what do I do", some try to go cheaper, multiple vendors out there sell replacement but only one sells one with a full 7 year coverage period.

If all others on the market were as successful as they say thiers is, where then is the warranty coverage to back it up.

Yes you can build something similar, get a used but good flea-bay driver for less, how many times dead & frustration associated with it do you want to go through, how many "used but good drivers" are you willing to shell out the coins for.

Get a flea bay for a spare when & if the 7yr covered one quits so you can get home or drive until your replacement arrives, or take your working IP mounted spare off for the spare, spend the coin and forget about buying another for 7 years, simple as that.