PDA

View Full Version : alternator replacement...stuck. in a hurry.

Propayne
08-29-2007, 18:37
can someone please explain how to remove the serpentine belt...im having hell figureing out this belt tensioner. ive tried searching but nothing really comes up to help me.

thanks.

Robyn
08-29-2007, 18:47
There are some with a 1/2 inch square hole in them and others do not.
On most pickups and Burbs a break bar with a socket on the pulley bolt will allow you to rotate the little beast so the tension comes off and you can remove the belt.

Caution, keep your fingers out from between the belt as pulley's when you have the tensioner wound up as if it gets loose its gonna hurt. :eek:

Ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

The diagram for the serp belt is usually on a sticker stuck to the fan shroud. If not make a cartoon of your own before removing the belt.

Makes life easier with less need for a Valium afterwards.. :)

Robyn

Propayne
08-29-2007, 18:56
thanks Robyn. i really appreciate that quick response.

Propayne
08-29-2007, 18:58
okay...so say i pull this thing as far as i can to the left or right and nothing happens? the belt just gets tighter on both pulls.

daustin
08-29-2007, 19:07
If you turn it up with the braker bar it should allow you to slip the belt off. I think that's counter-clockwise. Turning it the other way pushes against the belt.
Don

Robyn
08-29-2007, 21:03
Standing in front of the rig the tensioner is on the top
If you rotate it so the pulley comes up (Clockwise on its axis) the belt will loosen.

JohnC
08-30-2007, 14:39
the belt just gets tighter on both pulls.

Did someone put the tensioner on the wrong side of the belt? Is it smooth side to ribbed?

If so, you'll probably have to take some bolts out to get it apart, or cut the belt...