PDA

View Full Version : ByPass Coolant Filter

sparkylisle
08-30-2007, 09:50
Does anybody use one of these http://www.ve-labs.com/shop.html#Coolant%20Filtering. It seems like it would be a good way to remove particles from the coolant system, and since it would be in one of the heater lines, it wouldn't cause any engine damage it it became clogged.

sparkylisle
08-30-2007, 09:54
Does anybody use one of these http://www.ve-labs.com/shop.html#Coolant%20Filtering. It seems like it would be a good way to remove particles from the coolant system, and since it would be in one of the heater lines, it wouldn't cause any engine damage it it became clogged.

here's a link for more info http://www.ve-labs.com/products.html and click on the link for cooling filtering and inspection system (info pdf)

NH2112
08-30-2007, 11:50
Does it actually filter, or is it a coolant conditioner cartridge?

noelb
08-30-2007, 16:07
If it really does filter the coolant I would say it would be a good idea, but then a perfect world the cooling system shouldn't need to be filtered.

I have seen wire strainer type filters in use to remove the scale that clogs radiators used on the Ford Gassers but they need that sort of thing don't they.;)

The first problem is that they are out of sight (under the hood) and if you forget to check and/or have no way of assessing the flow restriction you could end up overheating.:(

The second is that it introduces another avenue for cooling system leaks.

Having just repaired about six leaks from various hoses and the coolant crossover gaskets I appreciate having less places for cooling leaks to originate.:)

Kept in good order and changed as needed you should however have none of these problems.:)

More Power
09-24-2007, 19:02
Soon after running the last 6.5 I had rebuilt, I noticed quite a few black specs either floating or in solution in the coolant (while looking down into the radiator with the cap removed). Not wanting all this junk in the cooling system, I temporarily installed a domestic water filter with a sediment element inline with one of the heater hoses, then ran the engine for 15 minutes or thereabouts. This got the junk.

Jim

stezloco
03-27-2012, 14:34
Ive also been toying with the idea of fitting a bypass coolant 'filter' to my 6.5td.... Ive read on t.d.p tales of corrosion around cylinders and have seen corrosion on the castings carrying water at the front of my old engine..(.'95 motor.)so i'm going to assume the inside of the block water ways is in much the same state.
the filter units are loaded with DCA ...diesel coolant additive which attempts to correct for an acid mix which eats away at the steel and alloy parts over time...(it also helps prevent cavitation erosion in linered blocks.)with all these cooling system upgrades and changes to coolant flow rate with the addition of HO pump and d'ble stat i think it may help.
i dont think it would do any harm to fit one and monitor the acidity for a period to see how it fares.i'm willing to bet it would slow down the block corrosion rate.of course it would take years to prove either way in this engine, however, I recently rebuilt a fire pumpset driven by a cummins v504-c (linered block) which was from the '70s and the steel in that block was like brand new........