PDA

View Full Version : 2000 6.5TD hard starts

JEDiesel
08-30-2007, 11:48
Hi all, new to the forum here.

I've got a 2000 GMC Savana 2500 cargo van and it's having a rough time getting started every now and then, although it's getting more and more frequent. One time it'll fire right up and then another time it'll and , I'll get white smoke but it won't fire. A couple days ago I ed it almost 3 min before it went. It sounds as if it were 10 bellow and I forgot to plug it in overnight.

Any thoughts?

Once it starts it runs great, with the exception of some surging that I am pretty sure is the turbo kicking in and out. Have to sort that out but shouldn't keep it from starting.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremiah

SPANKY6.5ER
08-30-2007, 21:40
I've had the same problem with my 95 suburban. What I've done is replace both batteries, new upgraded battery cables, new upgraded alternater, new glow plugs and I'd still have that same occasional hard start where it would turn over but not kick on. Just tonight after talking with the parts guy at the local chevy dealership I replaced the, I think it's called, glow plug relay switch, located in the back and on top of the engine, just beind the fuel filter. This looks to be the ac delco part # 1249-6472. I hope to drive it this weekend and will give you an update shortly.

rustyk
08-31-2007, 11:08
Check the fuel return lines. I had the same issue in my Ford E350 with the 6.9L. They were sucking air when the engine cooled. Replaced the return lines, and no problem since.

JohnC
08-31-2007, 15:01
First thing to do is read the stored diagnostic codes. Surging on a Diesel is usually fuel related and could be connected to the starting issue. Hard starting with white smoke could be a glow plug issue. Also, look for leaks in the fuel system allowing air into the system.

SPANKY6.5ER
09-03-2007, 12:18
I changed out that part and have been in and out of the truck for a couple of days and it's been starting up everytime. The part was about $60.00.
Hope this helps.

RS