PDA

View Full Version : my first diesel

staszekgra
09-02-2007, 17:48
Hey, this is my first diesel pick up truck, however I have driven a few diesel cars when I lived in Europe. All the time I owned gas cars with minimum maintenance so last month I decided to buy a old diesel truck. I don't know much about diesel maintenance but I'd like to learn more. Some my questions looks weird to you, but I don't deny - I've got little knowledge right now but I'm trying to learn something.
I bought and drove the truck in/from Washington, 2000 miles to Illinois; transmission went out, I had to replace it, needs some TLC, but I think that everything will be OK

DarylB
09-02-2007, 21:29
Slick looking old truck - does it have a 700R4 tranny?

ercaduceus
09-03-2007, 01:12
Nice. I haven't see too many regular cab, short box diesels around.

staszekgra
09-03-2007, 06:37
Yes, there is 700 R4 overdrive, it's 4x4 truck. I was looking for step side model but that kind of truck is very hard to find so I ended with shortbox fleetside model...

HH
09-03-2007, 06:51
Nice looking truck. Where are you in IL?

staszekgra
09-03-2007, 09:11
Chicago
I've seen personally nice looking restored 1982/3?? Chevy stepside diesel (1987 engine 30 000 miles, manual trans) in Germantown, WI, but I didn't buy er.
I saw GMC truck on craigslist (WA) so I went for it. Unfortunately auto trans was shot while I was driving back home so I had to pay much more I expected :eek: Right now I replaced water pump (I mean my friend - I have to learn a lot to became a good "home mechanic") and I'm thinking of little TLC (interior).

gmctd
09-03-2007, 10:24
Looks like a clean vintage truck - you can get the door hinge bushings from GM to cure the sagging door(s) - remove the hinge, grind the upset off the hinge-pin, remove the pin, 1/8" drill for cotter key - remove\replace the bushings, in with the pin, set the key, do the second hinge, and yer good to go - doors open\close like new

Sometimes the upset can be removed with a small chisel, without removing the hinges - much less work

ercaduceus
09-04-2007, 02:08
In my humble opinion, the short bed fleetside looks much nicer than the stepsides. Looks like the body is in pretty good shape. Keep an eye out for rust in the cab corners, rocker panels, rear wheelwells, and rear light pockets. All 81-87s(73-80 as well) rot in those areas eventually. I got rid of my 87 because it would have cost less to buy another truck than to replace all of the bad panels. Keep ahead of the rust and she should hold up a very long time.

Mike

staszekgra
09-04-2007, 16:00
Yes, these trucks can be very rusty...
when i saw mine I was surprised - there is absolutely no rust (body, frame) and paint is original - the truck had to be garage kept all the time I suppose.

ercaduceus
09-04-2007, 19:27
I'm jealous.:D

Yukon6.2
09-05-2007, 09:12
Hi
Great looking classic,in a few more years you will draw a crowd everywhere you drive it.
If you plan on keeping it,and it is rust free,you should look into getting it protected by a rustproffing company like ziebart .
Thats what i get done to my keepers if they start rustfree.
Costs a few bucks,but i think it helps.
Enjoy your classic
Thomas