PDA

View Full Version : Storing Fuel

BobW
08-27-2003, 23:07
I keep a 5 gallon can of diesel fuel on hand. Does this require some sort of stabilizer like gasoline does? Any other concerns with storage?
Thanks!

hoot
08-28-2003, 05:08
If anything you should use biocide. Most additve makers make a biocide. Critters grow in stagnant diesel fuel.

FirstDiesel
08-28-2003, 05:25
I agree with the biocide but have 2 additional thoughts.

First, if you go to a marine parts store they will have diesel stabilizer made for boats stored over the winter.

Second, I would rotate the fuel. Keep it about a month or so and then pour it into your tank and refill the jug with fresh stuff when you fuel.

autocrosser
09-03-2003, 15:40
I had diesel fuel (1k to 10k tanks)for standby generators stored for years with no trouble and some just a couple of years that had serious trouble causing tank cleanout and injector pump replacement. I implemented a policy of adding biocide after I found out it wasn't being used. I believe Lear jets and many others require it on every fueling. I believe moisture in the fuel is the cuplret that lets the fungus grow.

A little precaution is well worth it.

a64pilot
09-04-2003, 07:08
autocrosser,
It's the military that requires the anti-icing / biocide additive. Jet A+ has it already added, if we buy Jet A then we have to have Prist added, the most popular brand name.
I have seen an Aux tank partially full of what appeared to be snot because it had fuel without the biocide additive stored in it.

george morrison
09-04-2003, 13:45
www.avlube.com (http://www.avlube.com) will soon be carrying a very effective biocide/algaecide fuel stabilizer, pre-packaged to treat up to 25 gallons. The unique aspect of the Primrose biocide/algaecide is that it is miscible in both diesel fuel and water. Microbes live in the free water component. Most biocides are not water soluble, thus innefective at killing the source of the microbes. Correspondingly biocides that are only water soluble do not kill bacteria/algae present in the diesel fuel.. Thus the horror stories of someone taking weeks and many fuel filter changes to kill a fuel system infection. Additionally the Primrose is a fuel additive/enhancer that can be used periodically as both microbe preventive and fuel system enhancer just as a safeguard to low level infection that may be present and un-noticed..