PDA

View Full Version : no tach, no speedo, no shiftie......

gwbeadling
09-04-2007, 15:58
okay stop me if you've heard this one....
my 96 K2500 6.5 had just stalled at my storage building and a quick check revealed no fuel in the fuel filter (bad lift pump - go thru them every 120-150K). so after getting a flat bed tow truck to get me back home (for tools and in case something else was up) i replaced the lift pump bled the system and fired it up....
while i was checking for leaks i noticed the tach was not working....(hmmm i thought probably just a reset)
when it was time for a test drive, with the tach still not working, the tranny refused to shift (as the ecm monitors this)..... then i also noticed my speedo was not working....(and the shift indicator not lighted up)
so thats where i am...
have checked fuses and gotten OBD codes from a parts shop (dont seem correct and dont match any codes on this site). .......
but nothing really jumps out........
anyone got a handle on this????????

gwbeadling
09-04-2007, 16:28
FYI - alternator is good - 14.3 V (not my first rodeo-had this truck 10 years and have been on this site just a few less)......
gotta be a short or fuse....just dont know where to start
thanks for any help

john8662
09-04-2007, 16:53
Sounds like a bad grounding issue on the engine/chassis.

Check the grounds that go from the block to the frame, and in that same area one that goes to the firewall.

What codes did you get? Perhaps they'll shed some light one what's not working. There are many more codes that are diesel and non-diesel related that aren't posted.

J

gwbeadling
09-04-2007, 18:01
codes were P1860, P0758, P0753
let an autozone dude do it.......dont know how reliable....
looked around underneath....weird thing is i popped the
pump in around 5min and didnt touch anything else on the
chassis. i guess the truck could have bounced on the flatbed
or something. i followed it all the way home (9 miles) nothing
unusual.......
pretty strange

93_Burrito
09-04-2007, 19:13
P1860: TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical
P0758: 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
P0753: 1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical

Andy

gwbeadling
09-04-2007, 22:08
thanks burrito....
thats what was listed on the code printout...but i dont know why and where those would have shown up...the fuel pump failed and before that i had no codes listed...
is this now a transmisssion failure?? possibly a ground failure as noted by john??

just seems strange that there was no tranny concerns before.......
truck ran fine before this fuel pump issue...
im going to run another code check with another shop.......
thanks for your help
gage

so where is this TCC solenoid??? underneath by the tranny or up around the firewall and electrical???

93_Burrito
09-06-2007, 09:12
I have to agree with John here, I think you'd have a ground issue for all this to pop up at once.

The 3 solenoids mentioned in the DTC's listed are all located in the transmission's valve body.

Andy

JohnC
09-06-2007, 10:47
Problem is a bad ignition switch, specifically the set of contacts that powers the trans and instruments. (Or a blown fuse on the same circuit...)

gwbeadling
09-08-2007, 12:42
thanks for your help guys........
found a "little" fuse on the dash that says "trans".....
replaced the little 10a sucker and alls well.......
thanks again
gage

master53yoda
02-25-2015, 14:37
This site is worth its weight in gold sometimes I just bought a 98 truck, the pre-owner installed a remote PMD and mounted it in the bumper with the wireing connector facing up so that the water running off the hood when the snow melted messed with the PMD I relocated it again and now the engine is runnig right but it must have blown the trans fuse. its now called PRNDL on the fuss block.

All working again

Art B