PDA

View Full Version : Code 13

dieselluver
04-07-2005, 18:59
Howdy all, got a couple of questions. My cousin has a 94 6.5 light duty and it doesn't start or run. It would quit every now and then, but now it is just dead. Hooked up the SnapOn scanner, and got a code 13. I know what the code is, but I'm not finding much info on what to look for or what to fix. Just wondering what experience everyone has had with this, and what direction I should look.

Thanks,
Dieselluver

Hye
04-08-2005, 05:00
Code 13 is the fuel shutoff solinoid, Its a cylinder on the front end of the injection pump, about an inch in diameter, three inches tall and has either a hex socket (old style) or a hex nut (new style) on top. There is a picture at http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/sol-d.htm.
This is what I remember from about 1998. If it doesn't get 12v with the key on, the engine won't run. Maybe you can hear/feel it when someone turns the key. If not, unplug with key off. Use a test light to check at harness connector with the key on. One side is ground, the other gets 12V from the PCM when the key is on.
The hex socket units will probably leak around the top after they have been removed/replaced. The hex nut units are tougher, but don't overtighten. I don't remember the torque spec. They have an o-ring seal on the threaded end that should be replaced if you remove/replace the solenoid. Teflon tape can get into the pump. That's BAD. I'd guess that your problem is in the wiring or connectors. But it could be the solenoid or PCM.