PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 replacing a 350SB?

propsbypat
09-06-2007, 11:41
Greetings Everyone,
I'm about to pull a 6.2L non-turbo diesel out of a 1984 1/2 ton two wheel drive chevy pick up with an automatic transmisson. I'm wanting to put it into a 1977 one ton dually 4x4 with a small block 350 and manual transmisson. My father-in-law says He thinks it will bolt right up. Unforunatelly I don't share him optimism so I'm here asking what can go wrong? Am I going to need to replace the flywheel? Fuel lines from the tanks? I know that I will need to hook up a switch for the glowplug, what other problems might my father-in-law and I have during our bonding experience? Thanks Patrick:confused:

john8662
09-06-2007, 12:20
Welcome!

First off, I'm going to move this to the diesel conversions category.

Some of the gotchas that I know of for the conversion will be that you'll need a flywheel for a 6.2L to work properly with the 4sp trans.

The main issue with the flywheel is the teeth count to mesh with the starter from the 6.2L.

I'm also not sure about the belhousing, but I'm under the impression that it will bolt in and work, as long as the flywheel and clutch match a 6.2 application.

Remember, you'll need a pilor bushing/bearing in the back of the crank for the standard trans, but the bore is already there.

To put this 6.2 in a heavier truck than a 1/2 ton, I'd also recommend upgrading it a bit with a non-egr intake manifold to get it a little more air, and a little more power.

J