PDA

View Full Version : New Duamax (2007) torsion bars and tires

crtlm66
09-06-2007, 16:57
I am new to the forum and need some help on a few things, so please excuse me if these questions are very simple & basic.

First, I have a new durmax 2007 2500 4x4. I Was wanting to know that max tire size i could fit under it with the torsion bars cranked about 1 1/2 inch. to make the truck sit level.

Also, I was wondering if cranking the torsion bars 1 1/2 inches would do have an excessive wear on the suspension system, and how much more rough it would make the ride.

And finally. This is a really stupid question, but i really dont know. How do you read the tire sizes on the metic sizes. Such as 275/50/15. What the accual hight and width of the tire is. I understand the 33/12.5/15 what all that means, jsut not the other sizes. And one last question. What rim width would be right for an 11.5 tire or a 12.5 tire which width of rim would fit that the best.

Sorry if the subject has already been discussed or is too simple.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.:D

HH
09-06-2007, 17:18
You can figure out your tire size by multiplying the width by the % of sidewall height divided by 25.4 x 2 plus the rim diameter to get the height in inches.

For example 275/50/15 would be [(275 x .50)/25.4] x 2 + 15 = 23.07 inches tall. In this case 275 is the section width of the tire in millimeters.

That number is an approximation due to manufacturing differences from company to company.

crtlm66
09-06-2007, 19:46
Thanks a lot man for that info. One thing i did not get was the tire width. how do you know what the width of the tire is. like 11.5 or a 12.5. Sorry if the information is there and i did not get it. Extremely newb to this subject.

j080808
09-06-2007, 19:50
Try this for diameter http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html.

The consensus is that the ride will be rougher (I just took mine back down) and there will be more wear on some of the suspension components (alignment advised too).

Use the search tool, there are many threads coving these topics.

j080808
09-06-2007, 19:51
Thanks a lot man for that info. One thing i did not get was the tire width. how do you know what the width of the tire is. like 11.5 or a 12.5. Sorry if the information is there and i did not get it. Extremely newb to this subject.

The number is in millimeters and can be converted to inches here http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

NutNbutGMC
09-06-2007, 19:54
Thanks a lot man for that info. One thing i did not get was the tire width. how do you know what the width of the tire is. like 11.5 or a 12.5. Sorry if the information is there and i did not get it. Extremely newb to this subject.Welcome to the board. You're doing fine.

As a general rule of what I have read here, most folks run the 265s and there are a few folks that use the 285s. Standard is the 245 tire.

I run 265s on mine with no problems at all. I actually prefer them over the 245s. The Michelin X series is a nice set of tires. Opinions will vary.

As for leveling the truck, again, I'd run 265s and turn your torsion up to where you mentioned. However with that, I'd get an alignment done to readjust the wheels to the torsion adjustment. It will indeed mis-align the tires with the upward adjustment. I don't think the adjustment will effect your suspension as such. And while you mention it, the OEM shocks have been reported as "crapola" and may be replaced with aftrmarkets that will improve your ride.

In my opinion, anything over a 285 would not be useful (for my preferences). I wouldn't even consider taking a truck this large and heavy into an off-road situation that would require mudders or large tires. But that's just me.