PDA

View Full Version : engine swap?

motohead619
09-06-2007, 17:06
I've got a 98 c/k 2500 with bad 6.5 turbo diesel engine.I just bought a 95 mini school bus with a 6.5 naturally aspirated engine that has just been rebuilt.Will this engine work for swap installing my turbo parts or even as naturally aspirated engine in my 98 truck?I'm worried the computer will have issues.Thanks.

motohead619
09-09-2007, 06:02
I suppose this must be a stupid question as nobody has left any replies.

Mark Rinker
09-09-2007, 06:20
Not a stupid question at all.

My guess: You could not use the good engine easily (without computer swap, compatibility issues) in a NA configuration in your truck. It would be easier, and more productive to use the block and heads from the good engine - essentially replacing just the longblock.

From your takeout (bad) engine, you would swap over the intake, electronic injector pump, exhaust system, turbo. Wiring, computer, etc. also reused as is, in the truck. I did this in a 1994, swapping in a used longblock from a wrecked 1998. Your 1998 already has the good cooling system, and larger oiler cooler, which is a plus and will make your longblock swap easier than mine was. Not sure if the NA injectors are the same, or different. Might be a good time to replace with new, anyway.

Have you searched this entire site for all information on the NA 6.5? John Kennedy may be able to give you some information - look for his advertisement here.

Good luck!

redbird2
09-09-2007, 07:21
As Mark stated just use your intake and exhaust for the 98 along with all the electronics, you will simply be installing long block.

Here are a few things you need to look at before you put the engine into the truck.

1) check the intake bolts as there was some applications where the bolts are at different angles
vans had bolts that where drilled straight up and down in the head, as there trucks use bolts that are drill perpendicular to the gasket surface

2) make sure that the front cover has the hole in it for the crack position sensor it would be a lot easier the swap out with engine out of the truck. on NA engines they simple plug the hole with a freeze plug type insert also a lot easier to remove with engine out.

3) you have might have to adapt the oil cooler lines connection possible depends on the blocks you have simple process again a lot easier to check out with engine out.

I have a couple of suggestion for you on this sway
a) install new oil cooler line ( my preference in the stainless steel lines) I've seen several guys sway engines and with a year loose the engine because the save a $$$$ and the cooler lines popped doesn't take long to dump the oil and then big $$$$$ repair
b) install new glow plugs
c) check the teeth on you flex plate and check around mounting bolt area if you see anything that doesn't look prefect replace flex plate. unless you really like pulling the transmissions, if you have Manual trans check ring gear its replaceable from the flywheel
d) also good time to check those motor mounts ( I made this mistake after 10k had to replace left one on my own truck so i replace both just bit tough with engine in the way)
e) check you cross over pipe exhaust before you reinstall if you are ever going to do any exhaust upgrades a mandrel bent crossover is a good place to start ( I have extra one setting on shelf if your interested been there a while will let go cheap e-mail me )

Have fun it will not be that hard to do just take your time and do it right the first time.
Greg

redbird2
09-09-2007, 07:23
forgot injectors are the same