PDA

View Full Version : Call me stupid...

Propayne
09-06-2007, 21:37
This question is about injectors. Ive read that marine injectors do absolutely nothing without more fuel being sent to them...so my question is can I put a mechanical IP on my 95 and turn it up? if not..where can i find a performance IP because Heath, SSdiesel, and Kennedy all seem to just sell new or remans?

for some reason this engine confuses me. The Cummins and Powerstrokes are easy compared to this one.

DennisG01
09-07-2007, 08:44
A re-flashed ECM (or EPROM chip in your case) will have a new performance program that will call for more fuel from the pump. I might be wrong on the numbers here, but I seem to recall about 63mm (cubic) being stock where a new program can call for up to 80mm. With performance injectors you get a better spray, too (I think).

Here's a follow up question: Can a re-flashed ECM be programed to demand more than 80mm? Or is that the limit of the pump? If so, back to the original question - where to get a performance pump?

Robyn
09-07-2007, 09:25
The folks over at Heath tell me that 90mm is the limit and that their chip will deliver that.

More Power
09-07-2007, 09:29
Ask to see dyno charts before/after. Too much hype on the net - too many saying things that are simply untrue...

Jim

DennisG01
09-07-2007, 11:47
The folks over at Heath tell me that 90mm is the limit and that their chip will deliver that.

You could be right about 90mm - I was trying to remember what Bill Heath told me a few years ago. In either case, anyone know what the pump is capable of delivering? I'm leaning towards thinking that it is capable of quite a lot - isn't there a return fuel line for unused fuel that doesn't make it through the squirts (as Robin always affectionately refers to them :p )? If that's the case, supply shouldn't be a problem - it's just a matter of getting that fuel through the squirts. I'm shooting from the hip here - someone correct me if my train of thought is incorrect...

john8662
09-07-2007, 12:50
IIRC, Heath doesn't disclose the output for the sake of arguement.

Bigger squirts, longer duration/more pressure from the IP, more fuel delivered.

J

DennisG01
09-07-2007, 16:08
IIRC, Heath doesn't disclose the output for the sake of arguement.
J

I had quite a few long conversations with Bill about his programming and that was one of the things we had discussed - although it was more of a side note than the main conversation. Basically it came down to a Tech 2 will show the ECM demanding 79 or 80, but it's really a little more than that since that's as high as the Tech 2 will read.