PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler hose busted, now smokes and runs bad

aquaman0001
09-08-2007, 12:39
Oil cooler hose busted while going down highway. Replaced lines but now the Suburban smokes and the best way for me to describe the noise that I hear is (nailing). There is a distinct nailing sound. Is the engine toast?

redbird2
09-10-2007, 06:53
It sounds like it toasted with out seeing or hearing the truck run I would have to guess it most likely scored a cylinder or cylinders, I have seen this happen more times than I can count since the early 90's on my fleet.
sorry to hear this for you

DennisG01
09-10-2007, 10:40
Well, if you check my signature, you'll see the result of my oil line busting. Best guess is it was busted for 4 - 6 minutes of low RPM running time before I realized it and shut the truck down. Unfortunately, I don't think the diagnosis is good. If I was able to pull an engine myself, I may have attempted an R&R. But, I didn't want to pay someone umpteen hours of labor just to pull it apart on the chance that it might be salvageable.

After I had it towed back to my house, I fixed the line and filled it up with oil. When I tried to start it up, the only noises I got was the starter solenoid and the starter gear hitting the flywheel. Actually, I got one other noise - a light "pop" that turned out to be the + battery connection where the starter attaches to - the connector actually broke in half from all of the amps/heat being pulled through! I took a pry bar to the flywheel and could BARELY move it. When it did move, about an inch at a time, it made all kinds of ungodly squeaks and squeals:eek:.

aquaman0001
09-10-2007, 15:39
Code shows cylinder 1 missing. Could cylinder 1 be stuck open and causing the miss and smoke?
A

twaddle
09-10-2007, 19:52
Hi there,
Remove the rocker covers and check the rocker arms, it may be a broken rocker arm or a damaged or sticky hydraulic cam follower.

If you disconnect the fuel injection pump shut down solenoid and turn the engine over do you still get the "nailing sound" and is the sound from the top end or bottom end? (finding the noise location may be easier said than done).

Good luck

Jim

aquaman0001
09-11-2007, 15:30
Thank for a starting place,
A

aquaman0001
09-14-2007, 10:36
Removed rocker arm cover to see if I have a broken shaft in cylinder 1. It did not look it. How much play should there be in the rocker arm. Some seem tighter than others. Also, How can I make sure that the valves are not closed. I am wondering if the cylinder is stuck open and that is why I am getting allot of smoke.
A

hayhauler69
09-15-2007, 15:46
Can you rotate the engine?
If so, the rockers close when all the way up.
They open when rockers go down.
Read your original post and said to myself "I better replace those lines"
Sorry that happened.
Not sure what you mean by looser. Can you rotate the pushrods or can you move them up and down? Rotate ok, up and down, not ok. Of course that's only at the closed position of the valve, when the rocker is all the way up.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all the Chevy's I've worked on the pushrods are snugged down to 3/4 lash, same with the 6.5TD?
Good luck to you.